Search results

1. Sean Wright

Joiner’s Mallet

After watching an episode of The Woodwright’s Shop where Roy Underhill made a joiner’s mallet, I decided to make one. Mine isn’t exactly the same as Roy’s, but it’s close. Also, unlike Roy’s it was made using some power tools. The handle is maple and and the head is ash. The wedges in the handle...
  2. Sean Wright

Taper Jig

I’ve been meaning to make a taper jig for some time, and I finally got around to it. It is is patterned after the Rockler version. It is made from 1/2 in plywood (spray painted).The mitre slot runner is made from a strip of black walnut. The handle was turned from a scrap piece of mahogany. The...
  3. Sean Wright

My Small Bowls

As I mentioned in another post, I have been turning my way through a stack of Mahogany and Poplar cut-off blanks. Here my other small bowls. The 1st one is Mahogany finished with mineral oil (with parfin wax melted into it). The 2nd one is Mahogany finished again with mineral oil & wax. The...
  4. Sean Wright

Wooden Whistle - Cub Scout Project

Last year I needed to come up with a simple woodworking project to make a useful object for my younger son's Cub Scout Pack. After digging around, I decided to make some whistle kits. The wood blocks are ash. The ash and dowels were what I had laying around the shop. I pre-drilled the blocks...
  5. Sean Wright

Small Computer Desk (2 of them!)

I had been away from any major projects for a long, long time. Last year both of my sons (9yrs old and 12yrs old-at that time) complained that they didn’t have a good place to do their homework in their bedrooms. So, that got me thinking, I could use this as an opportunity to do a bigger...
  6. Sean Wright

Small Mahogany Bowl

About 2 years ago, I was given a small pile of 6/4 + thick Mahogany and Poplar cut-offs, perfect for small bowls. After staring at the stack of blanks for a long time, I decided to dive back into turning, and started trying my hand a bowls. I had done a few in the past but most of my turning was...
  7. Sean Wright

Wooden Easter Basket

My younger son (in kindergarten) needed an Easter Basket for school this year. So I set out to make one out of wood (what else, right?). This is what I came up with. It is made of 1/8in birch plywood. The handle is a bent wood lamination made of cherry. The box part of the basket is glued...
  8. Sean Wright

Another Portable Workbench

A while back I posted a portable work bench (that mounts on a DeWalt miter saw stand) that I made for my uncle.(Portable Workbench) I just recently completed a similar one for my Dad. The one I made for my uncle had two recessed "trays" on each side. This one only has the pencil holder. It is...
  9. Sean Wright

My Son's Pinewood Derby Car

This is my son's Cub Scout Pinewood Derby car from this past spring. My son, Daniel, is 8 years old, and this was his 1st Pinewood Derby car. He did most of the cutting and sanding. I helped him with adding extra weight and putting the wheels on. It looks faster than how it ran , but he had a...
  10. Sean Wright

Door Stop

While this isn't 100% turned, i figure it qualifies as a turning. This is a door stop that I made for my sister. She has a door in her house that she can't keep open. So I made this for her for her birthday. It is laminated maple and purple heart, with a lacquer finish.
  11. Sean Wright

Portable Workbench

Its been a long time since I've posted anything, but I'm going to try to start it back up. Here is a portable workbench that I made for my uncle. It is from a piece of maple bench top. It on a set of Dewalt miter saw stand brackets. This is so my uncle can have a work bench when he is doing...
  12. Sean Wright

Victim of the Times....

For over the past two years I have been working part time at my local WoodCraft store. I was there helping to stock and merchandising the store before their opening day. This was what I told customers was my "fun job", as opposed to my full time job which pays the bills. Two weeks ago after...
  13. Sean Wright

My web site is finally up

I'm not really sure where to put this post, so I'll stick it in with the off topic stuff. I put together a basic web site highlighting much of my turning and flat work. It is a free site through google, so I can't complain much about the limitations. Let me know what you think...
  14. Sean Wright

Selected Lie-Nielsen Tools on Sale

This is from an email that I received from my local WoodCraft Store. From a point of disclosure, I work there part time. However I get no benefit from the sale of any of these products. I just wanted to pass the deals on on everyone on FWW. I know that L-N products almost never go on sale...
  15. Sean Wright

New Fence for Router Table

First two pictures: I made the old fence for my router table (located in the wing of my table saw) from a Red Oak 2x4. It mounted to the top of my table saw's fence using steel brackets and T-bolts. It had a piece of T-track attached to its top edge for feather boards & stop blocks. There was a...
  16. Sean Wright

New Cigar Pen

This is the most recent pen I have completed. It is a Hybrid Cigar Pen (Black Titanium with Platinum Finish). The wood is Black Palm. The finish is CA and wax. It's hard to see in the pictures, but the Black Palm has a very unique grain pattern.
  17. Sean Wright

Wet Sharpener Question

Does any one have either the Tormek T-7 or the Jet JSSG-10 Slow Speed Wet Sharpener? What do you like or dislike about either model? Good features or problems you have had with them. My Woodcraft store is looking to purchase one for our class room, and we aren't sure which way to go...
  18. Sean Wright

9 Pens from over the past 6 months or so

Over the past several months I have been fairly busy in the pen making department. Here are 9 of my most recent pens. Pen#1 - This was a made for my Mother-in-law as a gift for her friend. Euro-Deco Nickel SlimLine in Purple Heart with a CA then waxed finish. Pen#2 - This was one of 4 pens...
  19. Sean Wright

Lots-O-Woodworking PDFs

I was browsing through Highland Woodworking's website when I came upon this page. There are dozens of "how to" and "informational" pdfs posted here. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodworking-tips-library.aspx
  20. Sean Wright

Case for Flint Lock Rifle

A co-worker of mine, asked me to build a case for an antique flint lock rifle. This was going to be auctioned off at a sportsman's club he belongs to. He gave me the dimensions and that the stock was made of curly maple. He said that he would do the finish on it. Which is good, because I prefer...