Search results

1. S

For sale Mortiser and Dove Tail

Brand new, never used Jet JBM-5 Mortiser and 14Inch Porter Cable Dovetail Jig. 100.00 for both. Pay for the shipping or pick them up in Montgomery Ny 12586. PM me if interested. Thanks
  2. S

candy dispenser finish

I built a few of these m&m candy dispensers. I made them from pine and would like a darker finish. I tried mineral oil but it doesn't darken the wood. Would it be ok to stain these and put a light coat of poly on? Being this will not be cut on with a knife or eaten off of would i be ok to not...
  3. S

Barn finish

I need some help. I just built myself a 12x18 barn to house my JD Gator. I used 1x12, rough cut hemlock, board and baton style. Im not sure if I want to stain it a color or leave it natural. If I do not stain it a color what is the best finish to keep it from turning a dark gray/black color...
  4. S

Standby Generator Question

Does anyone currently have a whole house standby generator? I am in the market for one but don't know much about them. I'm considering a 16kw or 20kw unit, natural gas hook up. Looking at a Generac and was wondering if anyone here has one and how it has held up. The electrician was here and...
  5. S

Wood siding question

I'm working on a house that has vertical wood siding, stained, and has loads of holes from birds pecking at it. I believe its cedar and the birds must be going after bugs. Any suggestions on what to use to fill these that will stain to match the rest of the house. I have used stainable wood...
  6. S

Electrical Question

Would anyone have an idea what happened here. I have a small, electric heater in my granddaughters room. Lowes special, looks like a small fireplace. I have it plugged in to a gfi outlet. Wednesday night the gfi tripped, I reset it and used it last night. It went off again during the night but...
  7. S

What type of wood to use

I need to build a storm/screen door for a 1700's stone house. What type of wood do you think would be best to use? I don't do much exterior wood work so i'm really not sure. It will be 5/4 and will be exposed to the weather, no roof or overhang over it. I'm tying not to use real exotic wood in...
  8. S

16 pane church window

I just finished building this 16 pane window for a historic stone church. The old window was completely rotten as you can see. This is my first attempt at posting pictures so bear with me.
  9. S

JET JJP-8BT 8"Jointer-Planer

SOLD For sale, 8" Jet Planer/Jointer combo. It is a bench top unit in like new condition. I only used this about 2 times. I got a new Dewalt 13" as a gift so I have no use for this one. I believe I paid around 375.00 for it and would like to get 225.00 for it. It's to heavy to...
  10. S

Table top finish question

I just finished building a table from an old barn door. This one will be used outside on a open deck. I put 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of exterior latex paint on it. Question, is there anything I can put on the paint to help it hold up to the weather or is it best just to leave it with just...
  11. S

Pressure Treated Wood Question

Is there such a thing as 5/4 pressure treat lumber? I need some for a outside project and it needs to be 5/4 x 8 but I cant seem to find anything like that in 5/4. I thought I could use pressure treated decking but can only find it 5/4 x 6 which is to small. It will be used to make garden harps...
  12. S

TABLE TOP FINISH

I am building a table from an old door. The door is being used as the top and has holes from old square nails and assorted nicks and divits that we would like to keep showing. If I use a high build poly finish will this fill these spots and give me a smooth top that will be easy to clean? My...
  13. S

Mortiser/Drum Sander Questions

I'm thinking of taking a ride to Grizzly in Muncy Pa. after the holidays. I am thinking of buying a G9976 Mortiser and a G0459P 12" Drum Sander. I was wondering if any of you have either of these and how well they work? Are they worth having in a small shop? The sander really looks like it would...
  14. S

Wood Type for Exterior

Question, I build a lot of exterior storm windows for historic houses. Up until now I have always been asked to use pine for the frames which seems to work well when primed and painted to match the old houses. Im now asked to build storm doors. I dont think pine is a good choice. What would you...
  15. S

cleaning sandpaper

Here's a tip that I have never heard before, maybe you already know of it. I came across this in a magazine of shop tips I received for xmas. Save your corks from wine bottles and use them to clean your sanding disks and belts. Run them across the paper with the machine running as you would a...
  16. S

New router question

I need a little help please. I just bought a PC4216 Dovetail jig and of course my old Craftsman router now needs replacing. What is a good router to buy? Do I need a plunge router or fixed base? I have read tons of reviews and am totally confused. I'm told I should get a variable speed, I would...