18 quart stock pot

Leo Voisine

I have a cheap enameled 18 quart stock pot. Did I say cheap

I've had it for many years and I use it but it is seeing it's age and I have burned the bottom with chili and with processing tomatoes. The enamel is chipped and lots of stuff bad about it.

I don't want to spent a fortune but I want to replace it.

Any recommendations?

I have a 19 qt stainless one that my wife bought a long long long time ago. I use it for chili, beans, all kinds of soups. I have seen em on Amazon for 450 or $60.
Any more though I just use my 12 qt insta pot for that sort of a thing. I go bean soaking right now and this after I'm gonna cook em up with a ham hock to make Navy bean soup. It take and hour actual cooking time.

Go stainless; you're unlikely to get better than 1018 or 304 (316 would be nice but very rare and usually $$), some sort of multi-layer "clad" pot. The single thin layer pots burn more and have poor heating characteristics. I'm not convinced fully clad matters as much here - I'd put fully clad as "nice" and bottom clad as "necessary" for heating. If you're doing a lot of sauce fully clad does heat better on the sides especially for reducing.

Consider something induction ready for the long term.

Personally dislike glass lids because they break (well.. ok.. I'm a klutz and they WILL break in my kitchen).

Mostly trust serious eats reviews and they also explain some of their criteria pretty well:
https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-stockpots

Check your local costco or sams club for sales. We've gotten some all-clad at half off or better on their highly periodic factory seconds sales, they're heavy and beastly which is what I like about them.. haha. (https://homeandcooksales.com/ but no current sale you're about 2 months late).

Second the vote for steamer insert. I got one of these a couple of years ago to use outdoors on my turkey fryer burner for canning and its still going strong. Use a 20% coupon.

SS is on the list

I like that a couple of you mentioned Tramontina - Experience with brand is what I am looking for, so that is what it is going to be.

316ss is too soft. The stuff I am seeing is 18-8 or 304 18-8 is still pretty soft but OK.

This will be the one

Thank you all

Not into the tamales - and I have a couple of smaller pots with a strainer and steamer that I use a lot. I have the Instapot, and I have a larger pressure canner that I could use for cooking. This new pot will take care on me. I have a larger pot that I use for clam boils as well, most be 30 or more qts.