1st Friday of 2020

Dave Hoskins

How about that? Kinda cool and soggy here today. Have some family coming over for lunch. They also usually get a bunch of wood shavings I have bagged for gardening purposes. Tamales for lunch!!!

Going to my sons home in Conn. tomorrow.

Been working on a control panel upgrade to my CNC router last couple of days.
Some new switches came in today.

Gonna take Diane out for a birthday lunch in a little while.

Rainy weather in the forecast here. Time to put away the Christmas decorations and take down the tree (assuming the missus will let me), which is an all day affair. Some shop time making a few more noise makers, then putting stuff away and organizing tools. Also need to can the six pounds of brussel sprouts still sitting in the fridge. Spicy pickled sprouts (Atomic Frog Balls) are very tasty.

got to take down the outdoor decorations and put them away. Then clean up the shop as best I can and do some more design. Need to do some research on controllers etc. also need to read the English version of the manual for the spindle drive since I have been able to find it on line. Can't forget church and also brunch afterwards so gonna be a busy week end. Also need to make sure the docket is clear for next week. My eldest Son will be in town on his way to his next (and Final) duty station where he will wind up his Navel Career before retiring in 2022.

well change of plans I was just informed by SWMBO that the decoration are to stay up until after my sons visit this week so more time to work on the design......:D

Last edited:
I've got nothing but work to do on my bathroom remodel. Hoping to at least get all the drywall up and taken care of this weekend.

Yucky day here - warm, drippy skies . . .

I started my day planing and sanding two glue-ups for a project.

We drove to Boston for lunch - catfish, shrimp, cheese grits, slaw - yummy stuff!!!

Saturday will be shop time doing some CNC work for a small project, along with some cleanup.

Sunday will be our usual routine of me preparing brunch, then being lazy watching some football.

Need to get the hardware cabinet moved off of the trailer, so planning to do some repairs to it and possibly separate the top/bottom into two units. Also want to get a little further on the barn door project, have one more mortise to clean up, the start creating tenons. Need to start getting things ready for a drop ceiling in our downstairs bath and hallway too.

Will probably have the grandkids at some point, so all of that may go out the window. :)

Raining here, and I've got a really bad head/chest cold. Likely moving from bed to couch to recliner, and back to bed. Not much more than that, for sure.

Last weekend of shop time. Doc says back to work Monday for me.

Working on a cabinet to hold my molding planes, and a few other items, want to try and get the main carcass together before Monday.

Nice sunny day here, but with temps in the crisp mid-30s. No shop time for me this weekend. I picked up a nasty respiratory infection over the holidays. Finally went to the doc yesterday and got some meds to hopefully handle it. Thankfully I went before it turned into full-blown pneumonia. Y'all have a great weekend!

Great day in the shop. Our new finisher is making the transition from production cabinet sprayer to fine furniture finisher. Jarrod and I have been helping him continue to learn and I'm happy.
Working tomorrow on a couple of conservation projects. I can't upload pics on my phone. So tomorrow I'll post those. One is in a top 5 of difficulty I've attempted.
Weather looks like it may be conducive for the 1st ride of the year on the bike.
Monday will be my 1st day back in the gym after 3 weeks nursing a groin pulled muscle.

Great day in the shop. Our new finisher is making the transition from production cabinet sprayer to fine furniture finisher. Jarrod and I have been helping him continue to learn and I'm happy.
Working tomorrow on a couple of conservation projects. I can't upload pics on my phone. So tomorrow I'll post those. One is in a top 5 of difficulty I've attempted.
Weather looks like it may be conducive for the 1st ride of the year on the bike.
Monday will be my 1st day back in the gym after 3 weeks nursing a groin pulled muscle.
Hopefully we'll be fixing the upload issue next weekend. ;)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

not sure if I showed off my new knee yet. this was yesterday before staples came out

Im not part titanium.

no dovetail joinery, just simple mortise and glue, and staples to hold it all together. pretty primitive

my upper leg is still swollen pretty bad after 2 weeks, doctor told me yesterday they used a tourniquet and that might be why swelling is still heavy on upper leg.

good news is, Im getting around much easier, still lots of pain, but I can go into car and elen drives me to get lunch, or to doctors and next week physical therapy.

still pretty much dont do anything but sit in front of TV or do my PT exercises. walk a llittle, was told dont overdo it,

this is how I will spend the next 6 months, gradually recovering. Not fun. not fun at all.

Attachments

• knee 008.jpg
    knee 008.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 24
  • knee 006.jpg
    knee 006.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 27
Allen...It's good to hear you are mending and getting around better. Not fun, but necessary. Tough it out and think how nice it will be when you are able to whirl Elen around the dance floor again. Sending some good vibes to help you heal faster.

Keep on healing and doing the therapy Allen, there is a light at the end of that tunnel.

My wife's first knee had a lot of swelling up until the second surgery. While she was under for the second, they manipulated the first one also. It helped her dramatically and the swelling was gone almost overnight in comparison. She went in with it sore and came out feeling better surprisingly. Her doc said if the second isn't moving as they feel it should be by then, they can schedule to put her under to do the second as well. So talk to your doc about if that is an option after 6 months.

Oh, and both of hers they glued up, no staples.

I didn't have staples either. Wonder why some do and some don't?

I'm about 2 1/2 months ahead of you, yes it gets better. Do what Doc, Pt and your knee tells you. Listen to your body. Like I stated earlier in this post. I'm going back to work Monday. 12 weeks out. My doc said the best way to heal is to use it at this point

I still have both original knees, but when I had my umbilical hernia surgery, the doctor gutted me along side the belly button for about 8 inches, then stapled me back together. The staples weren't too bad, but they didn't feed me for a week, just water and ice... and everytime I ate a bit of ice, would get the hiccups... you really don't want hiccups when your belly has been cut open.

Allen, follow all the doc's orders and instructions, you'll be good as new in no time... I know several people who have had knee replacements and my wife has had both hips done... once you get past the PT, no more pain.... Best of luck to you.

I appreciate the comments
I've been doing my homework as instructed and I walk 500 feet up and down my sidewalk 3 times a day

I need to get back to work
This sitting in front of television is torture

I appreciate the comments
I've been doing my homework as instructed and I walk 500 feet up and down my sidewalk 3 times a day

I need to get back to work
This sitting in front of television is torture

Odd as it sounds, my lower back hurt worse than anything. The body is just not used to coming to a complete stop for a couple of weeks.