1st turnning in over 15 year inspired by Chas

I don't use them often for the very reason you mentioned... no tail stock support and I have to swing the headstock out 45 degrees and the tool rest extension that came with my lathe is a little funky....., but I have a set of Cole jaw extensions put out by PSI that fits over my regular jaws that came with the Barracuda chuck... I would like to have the various buttons you show, but haven't taken the time to fix them yet... I have two sets of stock buttons that came with the Cole jaws, 1/2" and 3/4"... the extension came with a stock set of dovetail buttons about 3/4" diameter that works fairly well... I don't do a lot of fancy stuff like Chas does, so on my bowls, when I can I use a vacuum... and I tend to trust that only a little bit.

Way back in 2007 when I was getting frustrated with the number of times my pieces fell into just the wrong diameter to fit in the Cole Jaws fitted to my 4" chuck I made up these 'fingers' to increase the range.
As you can see I have more than enough swing over my lathe bed to meet my needs without swinging the headstock, these 'fingers' and the fact the jaws are now fitted to a 5" chuck give me a very wide range of grip possibilities with what at the time was the smaller diameter version of the jaws made to fit my Axminster chucks..
_________ ___ ___ ___
_________ click on images for larger view
_________Eight 7/8 x 1/4" pieces of steel, 48 Holes, 32 of them tapped 6mm.

__________Not something you would want to poke a finger in, but no worse than a square or natural edge bowl.

Apologies to Jay for taking the thread off subject.