2018 snowflakes

Dan Noren

Staff member
found a creative way to use up the scrap cherry from the coasters, and possibly earn some coin as well. i took the scrap parts from when i cut the boards to thickness for the coasters, planed them down to 1/4 inch, and sanded them a good one. as i had set up the code the other day, ran a quick test. cut the snowflake with a 1/16 inch round nosed bit. finished up with a coat of blo. production run tomorrow. changes to the code will involve thinner tabs, a few more, shallower passes, and a hole drilled for a string loop for hanging them.

Attachments

• 001 blanks planed to thickness.JPG
    001 blanks planed to thickness.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 002 blanks sanded smooth.JPG
    002 blanks sanded smooth.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 20
  • 003 test snowflake started.JPG
    003 test snowflake started.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 004 test snowflake.JPG
    004 test snowflake.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 005 test snowflake with oil.JPG
    005 test snowflake with oil.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 29
the production snowstorm has begun! adjusted the cut to go a bit deeper, made the tabs a bit thicker, and added a hole for a hanging loop of string. today's accumulation, 11, expecting another 12 tomorrow.

Attachments

• 006 start of production snowstorm.JPG
    006 start of production snowstorm.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 007 first ones cut.JPG
    007 first ones cut.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 008 todays snowstorm.JPG
    008 todays snowstorm.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 18
the blizzard has finished with a final count of 38 (one was broken). now to clean them up, oil them, and dip in sealcoat.

Attachments

• 010 end of the blizzard.JPG
    010 end of the blizzard.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 16
almost forgot, i had brought them with me, to clean them up when i had more than a few hours with little to do, and one of my coworkers bought one (unfinished, as is, but cleaned up). she even paid the price i asked, without hesitation. hopefully the finished ones will sell quick too.

Those look great, Dan. nice way to use up scrap materials. :thumb:

Every time I see the title of this thread, I immediately think of a different type of snowflake... :D

what-is-a-hipster.jpg

Now use that laser to put their names in the center of the flake.

Some years ago I made similar ones with the laser and got a large order of one for every person who went to a Christmas Party. They had a tree by the door with all the named snowflakes on it.

now there's an idea peter! after a bit of recuperative sleep (especially after last night at work), got the oil on them today. hope to get the finish on them tomorrow.

Attachments

• 011 all snowflakes oiled.jpg
    011 all snowflakes oiled.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 18