2021 christmas ornaments from leftovers....

i was thinking about making the main bodies similar to my salt and pepper mill bodies. about 1 1/2" in diameter, with a 1/4" bead on each end. then drill a smaller hole on each end, for the walnut top cap, and the finial on the bottom. i selected the ambrosia maple that had the wildest colors, and grain, so that no matter what, that part of the grain isn't lost. the main part is only going to be 1 3/4" tall, with the over all height being about 6-7 inches. i still have to design the top cap, and bottom finial, then it is off to the spinny zone.... 😱

just for the fun of it, i put it on the scale. it weighs .5 ounces (or 15 grams, for you metric sorts). it will weigh even less, once i drill the holes for the top cap, and bottom finial. only 1.75" high, by 1.5" diameter.

I had purchased years ago kits made out of acrylic for xmas ornaments.
after making some of them, I made some wood ornaments.
they were very heavy and bent xmas tree branched down....the acrylic kits were very tiny. just a bit thicker then pens and maybe 1.5 inches in length.

The ones I make I try to keep at less than 20 grams so that they are not too over weight for tree use.
Any of significant dimensions are hollow formed construction.

Some examples here in my gallery, unfortunately the forum threads where the detailing of construction was show are lost since it suffered a commercial acquisition and change of platform.

those are super nice chas

the kits the finials are metal, so its just a bit of turning a small piece of acrylic.

my sisterinlaw collects ornaments from all over the world when her and my brother travel. (or any family member)

I gave most of the ones I made to her.

those pics inspire me to try my hand at it again....although I dont expect those results.