good thing this was a trial carve. i found that i didn't need to carve the lines for the stripes, when i can just do nubs where necessary, and stretch the tape between them for painting the stripes. the text came out ok, but, with the removal of the stripe lines, i can make sure all the letters are flooded with paint, before sanding. the stars started out ok, but at 100 in/min, the one screwed up, and i cancelled the cut. i slowed it down to 20. i also glued up the last of the 5 good blanks.
ok, after a couple of false starts, under way again. got the lines cut (with the tape nubs), taped, and painted the union, and the text. after the paint was dry, cut the outlines of the stars, and then started getting rid of the insides. that is going to take a while, and as of now, the program has been paused until morning.