2021 small vase holder

Dan Noren

Staff member
with the snow flying again (!), and too cold to work in the shop, i was inspired to another project, a holder for a small vase. this works out pretty good, as the vases were 99 cents each (on sale at hobby lobby), and i have plenty of odd cuts of white oak laying about. this idea has been kicking around in my head for a couple of weeks, and finally made it to the electron stage. the finish will be one of the runner ups from the dining room set finishes race. should be quick, and easy enough to put a dozen together. never mind the cylinder, it is standing in place of a glass vase.
vase holder.JPG

got the lines all marked for the arches, dadoes and such. then, when the latest set of bases were finished on the cnc, i did the engraving on the sides of the second type.
IMG_20210509_160331147_HDR.jpg

since i had the band saw out, i marked the arcs a little darker (easier to see that way), cut them out, and sanded smooth on the spindle sander. when i finished the last of the non flower ones, i realized one of the sides was missing. looked high and low, hither and yon, all over the place, no joy. trust me, there were some serious things said about that part's legitimacy, and parentage, i mean, how do you lose a part that is 4 inches wide, and 12 inches tall? just so many places it can hide. then, i remembered the picture i took, they were all there, and it turns out, it was hiding in plain sight, with the other parts, without the common courtesy of saying, here i am, you dolt! just the way the day went, had to replace the plug on the dust collector, as it went bad, broken band saw blade, missing part, pop claiming that he bought the 22 new screwdrivers, 3 pair of pliers, and a new tin snip, that the good tool fairy (me), left for him. oy!
IMG_20210516_153726041.jpgIMG_20210516_164228189.jpg

i was talking with a friend of mine from a cnc forum, when the idea hit. we were talking about how to add color to cnc carvings, and i was looking at the sides with the mackintosh roses, and i thought, you idiot, instead of painting them black, you should have painted the roses red, and stems and leaves green. well, i headed over to home depot, and got a couple of samplers of paint made, and started repainting them. tomorrow, i am going to sand them down, and see what shakes.
IMG_20210519_221506795.jpgIMG_20210519_235147925.jpg

different kinds of wood steve, and the grapes and vines are laser engraved, rather than with the cnc. now for the fun gang! there are some mighty strange things you do, when you are having trouble sleeping, and i did this about 4:30 this morning. then again, maybe they were calling to me so strongly, they wouldn't let me sleep... lol
IMG_20210521_051007875.jpg