3 Drawer Cabinet

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
This cabinet is for the same client I built that huge pantry for a couple of months ago.

IMG_1746.JPEG
Straight forward piece, for the most part. The bottom drawer will hold water bottles - lots of them - so I'm going with 200 lb. slides and 5/8" BB ply for the strength and capacity.

Small cabinet36b.jpg
Yesterday I was able to complete the hard maple frame. Love my new Domino! It makes assemblies like this so easy!
Giving some thought to using a single pocket hole screw at the center of the joints (each of the larger boards has two 8mm dominos) to hold the joint in place as the glue dries thereby eliminating the need to keep everything clamped up for several hours. Anyone ever try this?

IMG_1890.JPEG
Today I'll work on the MDF side panels and plywood top, bottom and back. The customer is providing a quartz counter top for this piece.

I don’t see why the single screw wouldn’t work, as long as they are fitting well on the dry fit, and screwed while clamped.

If there is gap due to stress, then it’s probably going to fail later on anyway trying to force the board to conform.

The only place I see an issue should be if you’re moving the piece after screwing, clamps are off, and you’re moving it trying to get another part glued up.

I’m not sure it’s worth the risk in my opinion, but a judgement call on your part.

I don’t see why the single screw wouldn’t work, as long as they are fitting well on the dry fit, and screwed while clamped.

If there is gap due to stress, then it’s probably going to fail later on anyway trying to force the board to conform.

The only place I see an issue should be if you’re moving the piece after screwing, clamps are off, and you’re moving it trying to get another part glued up.

I’m not sure it’s worth the risk in my opinion, but a judgement call on your part.
Good points. The screw hole would be placed between the two dominos - everything would be tightly clamped and squared (I've noticed that when screwing together pocket hole joints the boards have a nasty habit of creeping a little). I'd probably clamp up each sub assembly, screw it together, removed it from the clamps and carefully set it aside to cure. No stressing the joints.

Channeling my inner Glenn..... :LOL:

I went ahead and drilled one pocket hole centered between the two Dominos.
IMG_1891.JPEG

Once the joints were glued and fitted together I clamped the joint to a flat surface then used the pocket screw to pull it tight.
IMG_1892.JPEG

The result - perfectly flat and square joints and no clamp time. Just set them aside and let the cook a while.
IMG_1893.JPEG

I like painting. I can make some good money painting. WHY?? Cause there are plenty of people that don't like painting.
The painting it self isn't too bad, but draping 9' tall sheets of plastic from the ceiling and over my tools is a pain. It makes it near impossible to get anything else done while I wait for paint to dry. Most of my finishes are applied by hand so I don't have all that extra prep work.
Those came out great Rennie, they have to be happy with them 👍
She is!