3D Multi Colors and More

Bill Arnold

Staff member
I've had a couple of printing projects that I needed to help along by pausing the print while I did something else. A bit of research led me to an Octoprint add-in called Multi Colors. The intent of the add-in is to pause the machine, keep the motors active to eliminate movement, and allow the operator to change the filament color. I had the perfect subject for that operation with the panel for my laser setup. I printed the first panel in all blue but, of course, it was difficult to see the lettering. So, I tried the add-in and it worked quite well. In the case of my panel, the top three layers are the lettering, so I set the routine to stop after the fourth layer from the top. It worked out pretty well, but I need to do a bit more clean up amongst the letters.

LsrPanel-a.jpgLsrPanel-b.jpg

Another way I used the add-in is on some pop-top openers I printed based on a plan on Thingiverse. I'll detail the openers in a different post. The original had a slot on the flat side into which one can insert a 10mm by 1mm rare earth magnet. I made a few that way, then changed it a bit to pause the print while I drop in a magnet. As you can see, that works well also.

PtMag-a.jpgPtMag-b.jpgPtMag-c.jpg

If you haven't already found it and are interested, here's a link to the web page.

:)

Very Cool! I hadn't seen the octopi plugin, but I've done a script in S3d to pause/park the head at a given layer, then resume after changing the filament.

Here the blue was printed on a "translucent" white for some wall art.
2018-04-02 21.32.25.jpg

I've seen the 'Stop at Layer' and 'Start at Layer' in S3D, etc. When I found this add-in, it seemed to be exactly what I needed for the two operations on which I used it.

I've done a fair amount of that in S3D using a script to pause at certain layers.

I've used it for making multi color 45rpm record adapters and to insert magnets into a variety of projects.

The script I use will pause the print, move the head out of the way so you can do whatever, then it the un-pause button and it will go back to where it started.

I'll have to check out that plugin. Might be easier than editing the script.

... I'll have to check out that plugin. Might be easier than editing the script.

I like it because I can just process an stl in S3D as normal. When ready to print, I load it into Octopi and use the gcode page to check the layer where I want to do the insert/change. Open Multi Color, enter the layer number, press 'process' and it can either modify your original or, as I prefer, create a secondary file to run. You can modify a script on the setup page to move the axes wherever you want them to have them out of the way.