3d print noob

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
So, today I see Marius Hornbecker's new YouTube on 3d printing. Creative genes thoroughly stirred!

That said started thinking about checking into this. So asking for resources. Found 3D Printing Nerd on YouTube. Any others?

Machines. Way too many options. Best bank for the buck in a size that makes sense? Thinking about various brackets and adapters useful in the woodshop. See Marius's video.

Design software. Willing to invest time and a little money for something appropriate. Is this printer dependent? FWIW, the CNC will use Vector products. Something in this family?

Getting ready for retirement in a few months. The fun begins!

Welcome to the other side, Carol.

As thoroughly as you research everything, I'm sure you'l find the right machine for you. Now, saying that, I've been satisfied with the Anet A8 kit I put together, but you might favor something that's already assembled. I've made a variety of things ranging from additional support brackets for the printer to cutesy stuff.

Almost everything I've designed to be printed has been done with SketchUp Make. I create the drawing, export it as an STL and slice it with Simplify3D. I've used OpenSCAD for some nuts and bolts (literally) because they can be created with its built-in routines.

Have fun!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Bill, but I'm so far out of my comfort zone the air seems devoid of oxygen!

Yes, a preassembled machine. Not necessarily the least expensive. I have been trying to evaluation features and get a 20-20 hind-sight machine.

I have some very old experience with the earlier versions of Sketch-Up, but found at the Maker's Lab, Fusion 360 was better suited. Price is right and I am willing to learn. I have always been amazed at how an idea becomes a sketch, becomes a drawing, becomes a machinable file, and then becomes a reality.

So, any particular 'experts' you rely on? I already know about Darren and Brent!

... So, any particular 'experts' you rely on? I already know about Darren and Brent!

Those guys are the main ones for me. I reviewed a lot of Youtube videos at first, but can't point to any individual. A great source of information for me has been Thingiverse.com, both for project examples and discussions.

I would describe the Anet printers as a printer 'kit'. Sure, it has most everything you need, but some of the first things you'll print will be upgrades for it. There are a lot of better printers ready to go out there though.

If you are comfortable with fusion 360, you're steps ahead of me on the design curve. I've taken a few stabs at using it, but I've used sketchup for so long I'm pretty comfortable with it. That being said, many experts hate the way that sketchup does 3d modeling and it does have a number of quirks. Fusion 360 is definitely the way to go.

At this point, if I'm not printing something out everyday I feel like I'm wasting potential print time, lol. It's one of those things that when you don't have one, you think what would I possibly do with it. But once you get one possibilities for projects present themselves all the time.

There is a learning curve. I find I bump up against it now and then when something goes wrong with a print. I'm always trying to improve the settings in the slicer to improve the quality of the final print. That's where there's really a lot to learn about the materials and what works best on the printer you've got.

That being said, Here are a few things I would look for if I were you.

1) Get A printer with a heated bed

2) Make sure it's got enough build volume. The anets are 220x220x200 I believe, and that works for quite a lot. Not sure I'd want to go smaller, but I'd like to go bigger.

3) Enclosure - I recently put mine in an 'enclosure'. Really just converted an old cabinet to have some plexi doors on it. Since I print in the garage, it really helps to have a heated cabinet to make sure the ambient temperature for the printer is conducive for the material. For example for ABS I need to have it warmer than for pla or petg. When I was printing without it, I regularly had issues with the corners of the print lifting.

4) Baby steps are ok. They have multi head multi material printers now that are very tempting, but a simple single head machine is plenty enough to learn to start.

5) Make sure the printer you get has a 'safe' firmware. The stock firmware on the A8 is really kind of lacking proper safety protocols like temperature runaways. Let's say that your thermistor fails for some reason on the hot end or the bed, it's possible for the machine to just keep pumping current into it. That can be a fire hazard. Firmware like Marlin has checks and balances for that type of thing and will shut the printer down if it detects an unsafe condition.

6) Slicers. A lot of people have different opinions on different slicers. I went with Simplify 3d early on and I like most of it. Some of the ways it handle's default materials are a little counter intuitive. Try some slicers and see what you like. Cura is supposed to be pretty good too.

7) Thingiverse. Go get an account and start searching for things you might want to print. It's amazing what people come up with.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but if you have any other questions feel free to ask./

To touch on a few things Brent mentioned:

1) I don't see how one can do without a heated bed. It sure seems to help the filament adhere on the first layers.

2) The build volume on the Anet is 220mm x 220mm x 240mm. I've had a couple of things where I wished I had more room, but it can always be done in segments.

3) Until recently, my printer sat on a bench in the middle of my shop and worked 'pretty good'. As soon as I put an enclosure around it on all but the front, the prints became more consistent.

4) From my point of view, unless you're doing a lot of 'artsy' stuff, a single extruder printer is enough.

5) I've heard of people having issues with thermal runaway, but I've never seen it, although I had a problem with an extruder once. My A8 has Marlin firmware like Brent mentioned.

6) Like Brent, I tried some different slicers at first. I liked the flexibility of Simplify3D and still use it.

7) Thingiverse. Period!!!

I mentioned SU earlier only because I finally got comfortable with it thanks to Dave Richards. I only wish I were as proficient as Dave!!! The main thing is being comfortable with a 3D modeler that exports files in a format your slicer choice can use.

I go through fits of using my 3D printer - some use theirs all the time to print 'stuff'. I don't print stuff to be printing. I print things I can use, and occasionally thing to give as gifts like pencil holders, etc.

When we have these different tools in our shops, it can come down to something Vaughn asked me in a post I did a while back. I had made a sideways comment about using my 3D printer to make a mount for a laser module to mount on my CNC machine. He asked if I could go back ten years ago if I would have even thought about that possibility.

Times . . . they are a-changin' . . .

I currently have two of the Anet A8's that I've converted to metal frames (aka AM8). There were a lot of upgrades done to my printers to make them safer, more reliable, and more accurate. I haven't yet tried out one of the higher end printers ($2k & up), but I'm happy with how both of mine are working, so I guess ignorance is bliss.

I tried using Cura (version 3) for the first week, then saw some videos on Simplify3d. I had flashbacks to my experience trying to use various CNC software over the years, then trying Vectric, I wish I hadn't spent all that time on the other software. Simplify3d just seems to work so much better and has the features I need. Like Brent mentioned, there are some quirks with it's materials config that don't quite jive. I mostly like it's support creation features. I've printed parts sliced in cura and had the supports stuck to the piece, having to grind them off. Simplify3d's supports pop right off, they seem to cool just enough that the parts dont stick to them. Cura 4 has since come out, but I just don't want to learn another software when what I have works.

Speaking of materials, I mostly print with PLA and PETG, both are pretty safe to work with and don't require any venting. My office, where my printers live, is climate controlled, so I don't have enclosures for them. I have gotten where I turn down the heat in the winter in there, so if I'm doing some printing, I need to keep the temps up to about 70, otherwise I get some parts coming loose from the bed or warping, even with a heated bed. I also use borosilicate glass plates on my bed and some good old fashion aquanet hair spray. Parts stick to the bed really well while it's warm, as soon as the glass cools, the parts pop right off. If I'm in a hurry, I'll just pull the glass with the part and either stick it out in the cold or in the freezer and a minute later it pops right off.

One huge improvement for my printers, was the auto level feature. I'm using a capacitive sensor that moves in a grid patter on the bed to check for it being out of calibration. The firmware then adjusts my drawing to the bed to print correctly even when the bed is out of alignment. Brent's printer uses a BLTouch sensor, which has a retractable probe that physically touches the table, but works much the same.

There are several companies/individuals that sell the cheaper printers with all the safety, firmware, and feature upgrades done to them for about what you'd spend doing it yourself, so don't necessarily shy away from a certain printer because it is cheap or has some assembly required as someone may have a kit that has taken some of the assembly factor out of it.

Currently if I were to get another cheaper printer, I'd be looking at the Creality Ender 3. It's still got some assembly required, but not nearly as much as what the Anet and others have.

I don't want to overload you too much, so ask questions and I'll try to elaborate.

Oh, definitely get on Thingiverse. My id is BuzzKc. I've got a bunch of collections, a few for Tools and the Workshop of items I've bookmarked.

Leading the pack right now is the Creality 3D10-10S. It is to be my retirement gift to myself. We'll see. Miles to go before decisions are made.

Today I needed to run a job for a white elephant gift at work tomorrow. As usual I kicked off the job and ran to do other things and checked back about a half hour later to make sure things were going well. Well today the printer was making spaghetti as it's called in the 3d printer circles. Also the parts had come loose from the bed.
2018-12-16 13.52.15.jpg

I stopped the job and cleaned things up. started again and realized that the first layer didn't look normal. I should be smooshed into the glass nice and flat, but instead looked a bit round like a basket weave. So two things I found is 1) office temp was 62* vs the normal 70* I had printed at last time. 2) even though I have auto leveling, the two Z rods had gotten out of calibration and weren't parallel to the bed. So used a dial gauge on a jig that I printed for this purpose and got the z axis rods parallel to the bed.
2018-12-16 14.00.34.jpg

This did the trick as the first layer looked much more solid.
2018-12-16 14.17.56.jpg

My project is a nested puzzle box, there will be 3 puzzles to solve to get to the prize inside. Basically the winner has to solve 3 mazes blindly to get to a cash prize. ;) :D
2018-12-16 18.06.08.jpg

Edit: The final product...
2018-12-17 06.43.59.jpg 2018-12-17 09.15.42.jpg

Last edited:
Just tacking on, I mentioned that if I'm not printing I'm feeling like I'm wasting potential printer time. It's not that I'm printing for the sake of printing, It's kind of a case that once you get one, you find all kinds of things you can do with them to help organize or simplify things.

Case in point I had bought a bunch of little metric wrenches to use when working on these machines, but they just came in a little plastic pouch. Always had to dump them all out to find the right one.

So with a little coordinated work with the printer and the laser, I made a little box and a foam insert to keep them organized.

wrenche box.jpg

Yep. Looks to be great fun as well as function.

It is notoriously hard to compare systems. So many options>. Apples are thoroughly mixed with the oranges!

I looked at Darren's recommendation of the Ender 3 and tries to compare it to mt personal frontrunner at the moment, the CR10s. Pretty similar though the Ender's 'some assembly required' factor exceeds my geek factor. Comments?

Those machines look very, very similar, and I'd be willing to bet the amount of assembly will be very similar. The fact that they are metal frame is a step in the right direction.

The big difference looks like the size of the build volume?

We started out with the incredibly cheap acrylic framed Anet A8's and lived through it, lol. They were a huge pain to assemble due to the protective covering on the acrylic, and all the little nuts/bolts to connect those parts.

These metal frames have far fewer parts and should be a snap to put together.

I think I agree with you Carol, there is a bit more assembly on the Ender than the CR10s. Depending on budget, you can get the CR10 setup with auto level, hardware, and firmware updates already done to them. If you haven't already pinged Rob Keeble, he has one of them, but I'm not sure what all upgrades hes done on his to date. He can give his honest opinion on that model.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk