5' x 5' CNC Router Build

So I received the drag chain yesterday, it came in some bubble wrap packaging.
2020-03-04 19.34.47.jpg
2020-03-04 19.37.13.jpg

Unfortunately one chain had a few sections and an end piece broken.
2020-03-04 19.39.00.jpg
2020-03-04 19.41.42.jpg

I emailed the seller and requested a replacement, they said they will send it, but will take a few weeks. I think I still have enough to complete both chains even with out it though. I may be able to glue them back too.
2020-03-05 19.25.18.jpg

I also got the 5/16-18 mandrel, so added some more rivet nuts to some existing holes, top and bottom of the cabinet.
2020-03-05 19.32.26.jpg
2020-03-05 19.52.13.jpg

These will support the monitor stand/mount that I'll be welding up to attach to the back of the cabinet
2020-03-05 20.23.56.jpg

I'm trying to finalize the table design. I've reduced the leg sizes and rectangular tubing by an inch to cut some weight and cost.

I'm not entirely happy with the gantry layout yet, but I think the table base is pretty much the way I want it. I may go pickup steel tomorrow to get things rolling on it at least.

5x5Version2.png

What don't you like about the gantry layou? Looks pretty solid?

Are you thinking about a dropin spoil board to go over the rotary to have more room?

What don't you like about the gantry layou? Looks pretty solid?

Are you thinking about a dropin spoil board to go over the rotary to have more room?
Mostly I'm thinking through the fabrication of it and if the materials are rigid enough. Also, how I'm going to install the hardware. Such as if I'll be able to tighten both ends of the connector where it goes through the side or if I'll have to extend the rod out further, I need to go make some measurements and verify it all.

I do plan to have a drop in table over the 4th axis, just didn't get it draw it in there on this version yet since I'm still fiddling with the gantry.

Darren,
I saw a design over on Build your own CNC dot com where they put they split the table in the center and put the 4th axis in the middle . I don't know the reason for it but it seemed to make a lot of sense....

I've seen one like that, also considered putting it on the end of mine where the spindle overhangs, but I certainly don't want to bend all the way over to the middle to chuck up some wood and work the tail stock on the 4th axis. I also didn't want to work over it on the end, which is why it ended up on the side.

I've seen one like that, also considered putting it on the end of mine where the spindle overhangs, but I certainly don't want to bend all the way over to the middle to chuck up some wood and work the tail stock on the 4th axis. I also didn't want to work over it on the end, which is why it ended up on the side.
I hadn't thought about the bending over thing, My whole thoughts were with centering the carriage on the gantry.

Today I worked on finishing up the controller cabinet and was able to get the control board installed.
2020-03-07 14.23.36.jpg

I also welded up the monitor mount, and use a couple of 1/4-20 rivet nuts for mounting the vesa mount for the monitor.
2020-03-07 12.56.11.jpg 2020-03-07 12.55.52.jpg

I left the plate at the top of the scrap I was using as I may use it for a magnetic light base and for some wire loop/supports on the back.
2020-03-07 13.21.37.jpg

I then needed to make a filler for the fan hole on top, since I moved the fan to the back. I used the laser to cutout some 1/8" plywood, painted that black and mounted it below.
2020-03-07 13.57.47.jpg
2020-03-07 14.35.46.jpg

Lastly I worked on connecting all the motor wire plugs to the drivers, main power, and spindle power. Once those were done I buttoned up all the wire channels with their covers.
2020-03-07 17.20.24.jpg

I'm waiting on an hdmi to dvi connector for my monitor, it should arrive tomorrow, then will proceed with setting up the smooth stepper board and testing out motors and the spindle. I still need to make up limit switch connectors and install the main power switch into the back of the cabinet. I also added the longer cable for the vfd display and mounted the new enclosure for it with 2 faced tape for now to see if that was going to work as I wanted.
2020-03-07 18.46.52.jpg 2020-03-07 18.53.43.jpg

I didn't do much on the cnc today. I got the HDMI to DVI connector for the monitor and tested out the PC.

I also had realized I out the male plug on the back of the cabinet for the spindle. When this is energized, it's 3 phase power ripe for the touching. :eek:
20200308_140055.jpg
So I headed over to the laser and cut a little disc to cover the connections under the extra screw cover I have.
20200308_140100.jpg
20200308_140122.jpg
I noticed the electrical connections are Held in with snap rings, I may see if I can swap them to put the female connector in this one's place, and the male connector on the spindle cable side.

And we have table steel...
20200310_175522.jpg

Still have a little more material to get, but this is the majority of the base and gantry.

Also got a chunk of aluminum to extend the spindle travel below the gantry, may need to add another set of bearings though.

I'm planning to do some layout this week and hopefully tack some things up this weekend.

So the Z-axis I ordered is going to require an adapter plate to mount the spindle as the existing holes are too far apart for the mount to go on the z axis plate.

The axis I bought also only has one linear bearing per side. I've never worked with this style of bearing, so I'm not sure how much fulcrum force they can take, but I'm thinking about adding a second set to add more rigidity to the spindle.

Here I have a 12" section of 1/2" aluminum clamped on top of the z axis plate, and where intent to mount the spindle. As it is, there is about 11.5" of travel. Another set of bearings would reduce that to about 8", which I think should be fine. I may go forward with this and see how it works, then add the bearings if it looks to be flexing at all.
2020-03-10 21.36.29.jpg

How much does that whole assembly weigh? That looks to be quite the chunk of metal. How long are the bearings, looks to be what, 3.5" or so?

Probably wouldn't be a big deal to give it a shot and if you need to add another one later. Probably makes a difference how far out put that bearing away from the spindle mount. I.e. the closer to the spindle the less leverage it would have.

The bearings are about 2.5" long or so, the z axis currently has 300mm of travel.

My common-sense/spidey sense is telling me I need bite the bullet and do the upgrade. :rolleyes:

I'll need to pull the z plate off and see what model the bearings are and order another set. Then get a piece of 3/4" aluminum plate and use the original plate to transfer the holes to it.

Yeah, If the alignment is going to be as pictured, And since everything else is super beefy, I think another set of bearings might be the way to go.