7 1/4" Podacarpus Bowl

Dave Hoskins

Finished this up yesterday afternoon and took the photos this morning. 7 1/4" in diameter, 2 1/2" high, 2 1/4" deep, 3 cup volume. Sealed with walnut oil. Finishing was done a bit different. I used lacquer this time instead of shellac. Thought I would see how it did and was rather happy with it.

Attachments

• BLPOD3.JPG
    BLPOD3.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 10
  • BLPOD3A.JPG
    BLPOD3A.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 8
  • BLPOD3B.JPG
    BLPOD3B.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 7
  • BLPOD3C.JPG
    BLPOD3C.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 8
  • BLPOD3D.JPG
    BLPOD3D.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 9
  • BLPOD3E.JPG
    BLPOD3E.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 10
  • BLPOD3F.JPG
    BLPOD3F.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 11
  • BLPOD3G.JPG
    BLPOD3G.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 12
Looks great, Dave. :thumb: Lacquer is one of my favorite finishes, although it takes some work to get it how I like. I build up lots of thin coats, then carefully wet sand with 400 (or 600) grit to flatten out any surface imperfections, then buff with Tripoli and White Diamond, followed by Renaissance wax. On way too many occasions I've sanded too much and gone through the finish to bare wood, which requires starting the lacquer layers all over again. Lots of work but worth it for the final result.

Thanks, Vaughn. Yeah, I know what you mean. I didn't go into detail on how many times this thing got sanded. I go bit higher on the grits to get the finish right. I use 600 and 800 wet/dry paper. I also use the same grits at time power sanding. According to some reviews on finishes I have run into, some are saying lacquer is a bit tougher than shellac. Dunno for sure. Any insight or SWAG's?

Thanks, Vaughn. Yeah, I know what you mean. I didn't go into detail on how many times this thing got sanded. I go bit higher on the grits to get the finish right. I use 600 and 800 wet/dry paper. I also use the same grits at time power sanding. According to some reviews on finishes I have run into, some are saying lacquer is a bit tougher than shellac. Dunno for sure. Any insight or SWAG's?
It's my understanding that lacquer is generally harder and more durable than shellac. I generally don't wet sand higher than 600 because the Tripoli buffing wheel will remove the 600 grit scratches pretty easily. I also have some compound I got years ago from Don Pencil that he called "PL" compound. It's made for poly and lacquer and it'll remove 400 grit scratches without melting the finish if you run the buffing wheel slow enough. Here's a hollow form I dyed, lacquered, wet sanded, and buffed with PL compound and Renaissance wax. It has gloss like a grand piano.

VM 1047 05 - 800.jpg

Beautiful bowl. We had podacarpus trees in the yard growing up. I still have two in the yard at Dad's place. USeless trivia from my childhood. Some of the animals outside It's a Small World at Disneyland Anaheim are podacarpus. That's how my dad taught me what they were. ;-)

Last edited:
I kinda like the smell of lacquer...
images

:rofl: