$89.95!!!

Mike Stafford

It was time for an oil change and I also needed to renew my vehicle inspection.

When I was checking in I asked how much the oil change would be? $89.95 the service manager replied!!! I nearly fell flat on my face. It was bad enough the last time I was in about 6 months ago when it was $57.99 which included the outrageous price of $5.97 for each quart of oil. The oil is now $7.99 per quart.

Folks that is $32 per gallon! That makes the gasoline I bought today at $3.17/gallon a downright bargain. How in the heck can oil be so expensive. I'm not talking about synthetic oil I am talking about regular old oil.

WTH! is going on? I'm sure the government doesn't mind since they are tacking on an additional 6.75% and the more expensive things are the more money flows into the state coffers.

This is absolute insanity. They are breaking the bank...everyone's bank. A bunch of us old codgers were sitting in the waiting area and we discussed the state of affairs and it looks like everyone is taking advantage of the situation and just gouging the you know what out of everyone for everything they are buying.

Something is going on and I don't like it.

Last edited:
Yeah, the dealer charged me about $200 last time I had the truck in for the "works" oil change and fluid top-off. I had them throw another set of wiper blades on and balance the tires too, but they didn't charge me for the labor on the wipers, which were $50 for the set. :rolleyes:

Folks that is $32 per gallon! That makes the gasoline I bought today at $3.17/gallon a downright bargain. How in the heck can oil be so expensive. I'm not talking about synthetic oil I am talking about regular old oil.
I'm sure Exxons earnings per share being up 50% year over year have nothing to do with it and surely it's all the governments fault not price gouging at all....

It was time for an oil change and I also needed to renew my vehicle inspection.

When I was checking in I asked how much the oil change would be? $89.95 the service manager replied!!! I nearly fell flat on my face. It was bad enough the last time I was in about 6 months ago when it was $57.99 which included the outrageous price of $5.97 for each quart of oil. The oil is now $7.99 per quart.
That's scary since I need to run my KIA Soul to the dealer next week for an oil change...

I know things are much more expensive than when I was younger. But I can get my oil changed at Walmart for much less than I can buy a filter and oil for. It too has gone up lately but my wife’s car uses full synthetic and it’s around $50 my car uses 5 w20 and it’s $23-25. If you don’t trust those guys check before you leave.

well I just got back from getting the oil changed and the tires rotated..... $152.27. That's the price for driving a diesel. It took 7 qts. of an oil made for diesel engines. That was $134,95 the filter was $9.32.
Package deal for an oil change and tire rotation was $119.95 at my dealer. If I do the math correctly that means they are charging me $30 to rotate the tires. Last year they charged me $14.95 for the tire rotation.; that's a 100% increase.

I guess those supply chain problems affect tire rotations as well. Or maybe they are just gouging the consumer.

While I am griping I happen to like Voortman oatmeal and raisin cookies. Two weeks ago I bought a sleeve of oatmeal and raisin cookies for $3.99. That was for 20 cookies in a two section tray. Not cheap at 20 cents per cookie. This week a package that looked similar in size was $3.59. It contained 12 cookies in a three section tray. That is 30 cents per cookie; a 50% increase in price. The package was the same length but not as tall. In the old package the cookies were standing up in the tray. In the new package they are laying flat in the tray. So the product was not only downsized in quantity it was upsized in price. I guess they will also blame that on supply chain issues. I think all the companies are doing that to everything they make.

I guess I will be leaving the cookies on the shelf. I don't need them anyway; my doctor would yell at me if she knew.

Things are really broken in this country it seems to me.

Don't get me started on cookies! I'm diabetic and have to really watch my carbs and am on the keto diet. My wife found some keto cookies and they just kept showing up. On day I asked her how much they were. Mind you it's a 3oz bag of cookies, 7 cookies to the serving and 3 servings per bag at 3$ a bag. So it's 1$ an oz.🤯

Package deal for an oil change and tire rotation was $119.95 at my dealer. If I do the math correctly that means they are charging me $30 to rotate the tires. Last year they charged me $14.95 for the tire rotation.; that's a 100% increase.

I guess those supply chain problems affect tire rotations as well. Or maybe they are just gouging the consumer.

While I am griping I happen to like Voortman oatmeal and raisin cookies. Two weeks ago I bought a sleeve of oatmeal and raisin cookies for $3.99. That was for 20 cookies in a two section tray. Not cheap at 20 cents per cookie. This week a package that looked similar in size was $3.59. It contained 12 cookies in a three section tray. That is 30 cents per cookie; a 50% increase in price. The package was the same length but not as tall. In the old package the cookies were standing up in the tray. In the new package they are laying flat in the tray. So the product was not only downsized in quantity it was upsized in price. I guess they will also blame that on supply chain issues. I think all the companies are doing that to everything they make.

I guess I will be leaving the cookies on the shelf. I don't need them anyway; my doctor would yell at me if she knew.

Things are really broken in this country it seems to me.
I'm going to the dealer for the KIA oil change later this month... will see what it costs me... I used always take my cars to budget tire company for the rotation... forget the name right now, but if I bought tires there the rotation was free.

On the cookies... Dianne is diabetic and we buy the Voorman sugar free cookies... she like the almonette... no so much the oatmeal.... I like the shortbread ones, but really prefer the Reese's mini peanut butter cups. ... don't pay much attention to the price for her cookies, she likes them and it's her one extravagance.

Or maybe they are just gouging the consumer
Naah.. Car dealerships gouging the consumer? Impossible!

Until you need AC. :D

I lived in Phoenix for almost a decade without AC in my car or house.

For the car I'd just use 2x65 cooling (roll down both windows drive 65). The only downside was picking the bugs out of teeth later.

I had a ford fairmont. maybe back in 1978 ish, so on my way to school I stopped at a place called great bear auto repair, I believe they were if not still a small chain of auto repair shops.
he told me when it comes to electrical p;roblems its a 200 charge for him to look over the problem and then Id have to p;ay for whatever else needed to be done. I told him he is insane.....remember that was back in late 70s....maybe it wasnt my ford, might have been another junkie car I owned...dont recall, but I remember his statement......I told him Im goiing to check around first....his prices were nonsense, he had some nasty words for me, I left....next day I b rought it to my mothers mechanic, 15 minutes late he called me, he found a wire had fallen off, dont recall what, but he replaced the wire with a b etter piece and I can come get the car....he refused to take money, he told me it took him less than 1 minute to find and 1 minute to replace wire.....so I handed him 20 and told him to buy lunch on me.....an honest mechanic.....wow, he was my mechanic until he retired.

I knew an honest mechanic once. He worked out of a garage without a hydraulic lift. He used a pit to access the underside of the car.

I was a teenager at the time I used his skills and facility, all through high school and for the first couple of year of college. Frequently when I brought in my 60 Dodge step side he would have me drive it over the pit then tell me to get in with him and he would show me how to do what needed to be done. Most of the time it was just an oil change. Once it was a new water pump. Another time it was a new alternator or was it a generator... I know they both make electricity but I can't remember which one I had in that old truck. I'm pretty sure that old truck had a generator. No matter, that is not the point of the story.

Anyway he would guide me through the job and let me do the work under his supervision. At the end he would charge me for the parts but not the labor. I cannot tell you how much I appreciated that kindness. I didn't have a lot of money; just what I earned during the summers and from odd jobs. Every dollar he saved me was worth ten to me.

A couple of years after I got married and after we had moved away I learned he had been killed in that pit. He was a heavy smoker and somehow he had cut a gasoline line; the gas ignited and he was overcome before he could crawl out of the pit. Such a shame.