A back saver of a bench

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
While walking through Home Depot yesterday my wife and I came across these adjustable height workbenches...

husky-workbenches-workbench-accessories-holt62xdb12-64_1000.jpg
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62-in-Adjustable-Height-Work-Table-HOLT62XDB12/301810799

She mentioned my birthday is coming up and I should get one :)thumb:), however we had other errands to run, so I'll probably stop tonight and pick one (or two) up. They don't support a ton of weight, just 300 lbs spread out, but I figured they would not only save my back from bending over, but also make good infeed support at the table saw and stock support at the radial and miter saws.

Man, that would be handy in my shop. Unfortunately, I think I'm about out of floor space. I'm at least imposing a moratorium on any new objects for the shop until I get done moving the rest of my tools in.

Lot of shop tools seem to be made low. I had to raise my lathe for comfortable work without bending my back and I'm only 5'7" tall. I know workbenches are low to accommodate working on things placed on them. This looks like a great idea for making things that are not exceptionally heavy.

Well, one made it into the back of my truck tonight. I got the 62" long one, which they were supposed to have 3 of in stock, but they couldn't find the boxed ones. So I checked over the floor model and rolled it out the door. ;)

2018-07-01 15.59.27.jpg 2018-07-03 19.31.19.jpg

The thickness of all the metal was just over 1/8", the legs are folded out of that material and welded up, pretty stout overall, here is a close-up of the handle. It goes up/down maybe a 1/4" with each full turn. I may pickup some hex stock to chuck up in a drill for faster adjustments. I did throw about 100lbs on the table and adjust it up and down, didn't really notice a change in the effort to do either, very smooth adjustment overall.
2018-07-03 19.31.28.jpg

Comes with either rollers or adjustable feet.
2018-07-03 19.31.40.jpg

Just wanted to post a follow up to this. Still loving this work table, it's held up quite well and has become my most used table in the shop since it can lower to match my table saw as a side support for wide stock. It's also long enough to support my auxiliary planer table for in/out feed support. Has saved my back multiple times getting things to a comfortable working height.

For those without much extra space, a co-worker picked up one of these this week along with a couple of shorter rolling tool cabinets. He moved the cross support at the bottom to the back (which there are holes for) and consolidated some of the other tools he had into the rolling cabinets and stores those under the adjustable table.

Looks like they've come out with a 2 drawer version also... https://www.homedepot.com/s/adjustable%20height%20work%20table?NCNI-5

When I built my shop about 14 years ago, I put in a permanent work top across one end of the shop and L shaped around under the side window... I put them at about 45 inches above the floor so I can stand erect and still work comfortable at them... unfortunately they've become catch all shelves, so I had to build another free standing work area where I do most of my design/glueups/finish, etc.... it's also at 45 inches high. I'm not overly tall at just over 6', but it hurts my lower back to stand bent forward much.... I have my lathe as high as I can get it so I don't have to bend there either. Only low tool I have is the table saw, which I don't use a lot, but do have to bend slightly for it.