A Basic Router Sled

I remembered that I have this straight bit that has a top bearing on it, but j can use it to do some slabbing for now.
f423383148e675ef69d9447669c9c369.jpg

It us 28.5mm or 1-1/8" diameter.

With this bit and the 3-1/2 hp router I can easily take a 1/4" deep cuts... :O

Amazing!

I modified the vacuum hose attachment to fit on this router, but really it's nearly useless. Instead I'm thinking of some kind of retractable cover, like maybe an old roll screen that could be attached to the router sled and just pull out and retract as the sled us moved back and forth making the space between the runner on the sides of the bench top and the ends of the bench into a big box that the DC is hooked up to, if that makes sense.

Sent from my SCV43-u using Tapatalk

I think that there needs to be an angle on the carbide faces so that only the leading edge is cutting and I am not set up to do that kind of sharpening.
This is correct. You need a relief angle behind the cutting edge.

I used to make bo on the lathe cutting with a modified slot cutter (modified such that it cut with the bottom edge). After sharpening as above I would mark the flats with a Sharpie and relieve behind the cutting edge at about 5º.

f60dfc64210ff488b5617502394cc0ab.jpg

I made a retractable cover for my slabbing rig. It's a bit of a rube goldberg machine but it works fairly well.
I cut a piece of tarp that rolls out as you pull the sled along, the is rolled back up when you move the sled back to the starting point on the right.

8202c5836707bb65abf87bd9aa85b8f0.jpg

It uses a weight and some block and tackle.
Still needs some work, but already the amount of chips collected has certainly increased.

Cheers

Sent from my SCV43-u using Tapatalk (which really sucks)