A day with the grandkids, food delivered by trains

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I decided to take the day off and take the grandkids to the local aquarium today. It's not a big one, but they enjoy going and seeing everything they have.

For lunch we went to a local restaurant called "Fritz's". It's a trained themed burger joint. There is an enclosed train that runs through the walls and each outer booth has a windows to look through and see it pass, along with a model of a different KC landmark in each window.

The kids each get a cardboard conductors hat to wear.
2021-07-14 12.14.58-1.jpg

For ordering food you have phone at each booth, which you push a button and order from. Drinks are brought out by a server. The food however is delivered via miniature trains that drive around tracks up by the ceiling.
2021-07-14 12.14.50-1.jpg

As the train comes up to it's table for delivery, a small arm drops out to push the basket off the trains tray onto one that lowers down to the table.
2021-07-14 12.20.35-1.jpg

Trains are such fun... last time I rode a train was the "Skunk train" from Fort Bragg to Ukiah with my 5 year old son.... before that was 1960 when we were put aboard a sleep car in Dallas to go to boot camp in San Diego...

When I was still in high school we had a KATY line that came through my town and there was a round house there that repaired and turned engines around on the track... think it stopped working some time in the late 1950s, but we still had train crews that stopped over in town for the night at a local "railroad hotel"...

That restaurant sounds like a ton of fun, just to watch things work.