A hole in my pail

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I've been perplexed for the past few weeks about having to constantly clean the filter in my shop vac. I have it set up with a dust deputy and, in the past, I have had to knock the dust out of the filter only about once or twice a year. Lately it has been a weekly exercise.

I know enough about how this works to know I had a leak someplace. I had a problem with the lid not fitting tight a while back so I started there. New foam gasket and making sure it was threaded properly and screwed down tight seemed to have little effect. A once over visual produced no clues....until...

I have had an issue with the pail collapsing if I were to block the hose or constrict the intake in some way. I had this happen yesterday and noticed the side of the pail had a crack in it where the collapse creased the side. Invisible when the pail was in its normal form.

SO, where to get a new pail? (My old pail was one I got when I purchased chlorine tabs for my pool. No more pool, no more free pails) I went first to Oneida Air Systems and there is a bucket! Great, only $10....but wait, it does not come with a lid. What the hey? I fired off an email to them and I'm waiting for a response.

I know many of you have a dust deputy. What are you using for the bucket? With the need for it to be air tight and resist the pressure from outside I hesitate to look at standard buckets with snap on lids. The chlorine pail was great as it had a screw on lid that was very air tight. The sides, however, were meant to keep things in, not out.

My dust deputy came with 2 pails, I've have never and do not plan on using the spare, you are more than welcome to it, only thing is it didn't come with an extra lid for it, so you will need to source one if your current lid does not fit it.

Thanks Tom - I will hold that as a back up plan. In the mean time, this is what I received from Oneida.

Hi Rennie,
We don’t sell components of our systems through our site. Below is a list of the components you mentioned:

• SDS050001 – Bucket
  • SDX050001 – Lid
Please call into our sales line and they can create an order for both components you are looking for.

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions and I – or one of my teammates – will be happy to help.

Thank you for choosing Oneida. We look forward to being of assistance to you in the future.

Best Regards,

Lauren Ledda

Just putting this out there - does the receptor (bucket) have to be round? I looked on line for home built units and they all seem to use a bucket of one kink or another. Yet, Festool has one that is rectangular.

Could you build an air tight box from plywood and have it work as well as a bucket? :unsure:

I'm using a 10 gallon galvanized garbage can. Had it for 10+ years. No problems. As for a non-round container, no reason it won't work, as long as it seals well. Might even save a little floor space in the bargain.

Well, we switched to salt water on the pool a couple years back, I haven't bought any chlorine since, otherwise I'd send you one. I usually bought the 3.5 gallon size and they don't seem to have the issue with collapsing.

I have a bucket with a lid that clamps on with a steel collar gizmo kinda like metal DC duct clamps. The bucket and lid and clamp geometry all work together or I would just flat-rate you the clamp and lid. I think shipping the bucket along with it would get silly cost-wise by the time I "gorilla proofed" it so it would get there un-scrunched.

It's like this but, plastic: https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Open-Steel-Pails-Lever/dp/B07B6C2H9W

For $40 the one I linked to doesn't seem bad. Unless I accepted some "fake science" the container below the cyclone does not need to be circular. I do see swirl patterns in the spoil when I take the lid off my big cyclone bin but, have not really noticed the same on the DD. I don't let the DD get near as full however so . . . if I'm spreading bad data . . .

1597794007161.png

Last edited:
Rennie, you might check U.S Plastic Co they have all sizes and shapes with or without lids, Don't know if they have screw on lids though. You might give them a cali

default.aspx
I may, thanks.

I've been wanting to redo my dolly/cart that my shop vac and dust deputy canister rests on for a long time. I'm considering rebuilding it and integrating a plywood dust collection box. I can replicate the cu in capacity of a 5 gallon bucket with a box only 10" tall. This will allow the dust deputy to slip under the TS .

I may, thanks.

I've been wanting to redo my dolly/cart that my shop vac and dust deputy canister rests on for a long time. I'm considering rebuilding it and integrating a plywood dust collection box. I can replicate the cu in capacity of a 5 gallon bucket with a box only 10" tall. This will allow the dust deputy to slip under the TS .
That'll work, or you could make a triangular box that'll sit in a corner, out of the way.

Last edited: