A Lathe Project

Dave Richards

Seems like not much has been happening here lately in the way of designs, plans, and sketches so I thought I'd show a project I have in process.

It's based on measured drawings I found in a book published in 1919. I'm working down from the big parts to the small ones.

Hi Ryan,

It is kind of a fun project. I'll admit I've gotten a bit carried away with this lathe. You probably saw some other old machine parts I modeled like this hanger bearing. I modeled it because someone on another forum insisted models like these absolutely can't be done in SketchUp. I wound up digging out some ancient old books on machine work and drafting and had a bit of a play. If that guy is right, I must be doing something wrong. :D

Well I can say with some certainty that it won't be soon that I can do models like that in SketchUp ;). Maybe he just left off the qualifier :D

I didn't get in as far as the hanger bearing, just clicked back through a chunk of the lathe shots (and then my test run was done so got back up fixing the errors in that). It's an interesting piece all right. Some of its relatively straight forward but the tricky bits are certainly confounding.

Darren, have you seen the videos Dave Richards does in his steam powered machine shop?

Ryan, I think I can take care of that if I add an appropriate wheel to go up to the overhead shaft. :D