a little something I did over the week end.

Don Baer

Staff member
These are Submarine Dolphins also known as Submarine Combat Pins. When one qualifies in submarine these are given to the individual to wear to signify their accomplishment and they are welcomed into a brotherhood that makes up less than .05% of the military. Only qualified submariner can display them. It is a brotherhood that I am proud of being a part of. These will go on the back of my vehicles the small 6" version are silver in color and the larger white ones are 15 inches across.
20210426_060405.jpg

both are made from PLA

You would have to be close net to survive living on a Sub. Those look great. PLA means you did them on a 3D printer, right?

I am trying hard to talk my son into getting a 3D printer. He is back to flying RC airplanes again. Got re-interested after being away from it for about 30 years. Things have really changed... I think he needs a 3D printer to make repair parts...

No Dolphins for me but I have spent a lot of time on Subs working as a civilian at Electric Boat from Nautilus to Trident with a little NR-1 thrown in there.

I have a lot of time on the 585, 619 and 626 and a little time on Nautilus, NR-1 and a early Trident.

They are incredible machines. Only cruising I did was down the river from Sub Base to EB.

In elementary school a friends Dad was on the Patrick Henry SSBN-599. Visited many times. Remember all the ice cream we wanted and looking thru the periscope.

Moved from EB to a Nuke Power Plant. We called the Control Room the retired Chief's Club.

Believe it or not my wife has an Engineering Degree and worked in Sound & Vibration Department at EB.

Don - Congratulations and much respect on your Dolphins. I have a small idea of how smart and dedicated you must be.