A Quick Plane Ride

glenn bradley

My neighbor's son was flying up to Camarillo just to put some time on a plane and asked if we would like to go. The airport restaurant there is really good so we jumped in.

Plane to Camarillo (0).jpg

The ride is about 50 minutes and you pass within sight of the coast using the "small plane corridor" that is common for this run when you aren't sightseeing. Other routes show off downtown LA (Ugh) and the Hollywood sign (I live here, I've seen it) 😊

Plane to Camarillo (1).jpg

Camarillo was much cooler than our area but still shorts and t-shirt weather.

Plane to Camarillo (3).jpg

I had the tri-tip sandwich, bacon and beans, and sweet potato fries. LOML went for the pastrami. We hung out an hour or so.

Plane to Camarillo (2).jpg

Then flew back home. The whole trip was so quick we even left the dog in the house :D

when I lived in Kalifornia my best friend kept his planes (he had several over the years) at Corona Airport. We would often go for a ride like that, used to go to Camarillo, Carlsbad, Hemet airport and several others. He would call me on the phone and say lets go get a $100 hamburger. He would call it that because of the cost of fuel. I guess today it would be a $500 hamburger.

I had the very same experience when I lived in South Jersey. Our flight was down the coast, right above the shoreline, to Atlantic City. On that trip we just made a big loop. A little later we flew from Toms River to Connecticut for lunch. Right over long Island. I remember seeing JFK below us. Great fun.

My son over in Georgia is in process of building an RV10... but think he's lost interest and plans to sell partial completed and he also has a Piper that I think he's planning to sell also.... he's lost interest in both of them.
Not a fan of flying myself... I spent 11 years with TWA and these days I don't think airlines do the maintenance the did when CAB had authority over them.
Plus these days I might meet a Karen on the flight and get cussed out or beaten up.

when I was a teenager my friends father had a small 4 seater cessna.
I believe he had it parked in new jersery.
we once went to jersey and his brother was getting in flight time with his father and I went along and we flew over the beaches on long island.

I enjoyed it.

when I got home, my mother almost killed me for flying without telling her. I really didnt think anything of it, when he said, my brother is flying from jersey to long island and back....do you wanna come?

what did I know, I was like 13 or 14

Very cool! :thumb: Did you see Camarillo Brillo that Zappa was always singing about? :D

When I was a senior in high school I had a classmate who already had his private pilot's license and was working on getting enough hours to get his commercial license. It wasn't uncommon for him to fly from Albuquerque to Santa Fe for breakfast before school. Never flew with him but we all thought it was a cool concept. We had some family friends who had a 4-seat Cessna and my first time ever in an airplane was a simple "getting hours" flight buzzing around Albuquerque when I was about 12 or 13 years old.

My oldest son and I had a Piper Cherokee Arrow, and we flew much of the East Coast together in the 1990's. It was common for us to fly to Myrtle Beach or other places along the East Coast for lunch or dinner, or just to walk on the beach for a while and then head back home, about an hour and ten minutes each way from here.

He went to school for his instrument rating and then was in the process of getting his multi-engine rating. In 2000 he passed his flight physical with no problems, but then he collapsed and died of a heart problem at the age of 35, and only a month after passing his flight physical. Although I was frequently traveling by air for work as a Factory Service Engineer with a Czech Republic Company at the time, I never flew the Cherokee again. It was sold and the money divided between his wife and myself. I'm now too old, and with too much wrong with me, to want to fly myself anymore.

Charley

When I was a senior in high school I had a classmate who already had his private pilot's license and was working on getting enough hours to get his commercial license. It wasn't uncommon for him to fly from Albuquerque to Santa Fe for breakfast before school.
When I first started working for TWA in Los Angeles, we had a you supervisor on the late swing shift that would take the redeye from Lax to Boston for breakfast with his parents, then grab a flight back to Lax for his next shift... until they changed the policy supervisors could grab a flight any time and fly for nothing (providing seats were available)... but they changed that policy the year before I became a supervisor. :(

Nice. When my friend Russell was with us sometime he'd want a sandwich from Kent Island on the eastern shore and we, Shelly and I were there he'd say come on. That use to be so cool. Fly over the Bay bride and now traffic.

The daughter of one of my friends was a stewardess with American and was flying to and from London. He came to work one morning with hot cross buns fresh from the bakery in London for us to enjoy at our coffee break. She had arrived home with them just before he was leaving for work, so he brought some in to share with us. He said that she frequently brought home bread and other bakery items, since the bakery was next to the London hotel where she stayed.

On a red eye flight back from a Honolulu service call, I brought some freshly made flower lays for my wife and the women in the office where I worked. I had to drive past the office on my way home, so I stopped and gave the women in the office theirs, before continuing home with the one for my wife, and the day off for me to recover from jet lag. The flowers survived the trip quite well, each in it's own zip lock bag, puffed up before sealing to add cushioning. I had a shopping bag full and the stewardess had put them in a cool place for me during the flight (at the cost of one for her). I had bought a few extras anyway, thinking some might not make it without damage, but they survived the trip well.

Charley

It may drive some people crazy but I love how some threads here tend to wander. It really is like a bunch of friends hanging out on a Saturday afternoon swapping stories and experiences. :thumb:

In the late '90s I was in Providence RI for a week with several coworkers at a computer trade show. One of the guys from my office who usually went to the show was unable to go that week, so I brought him a live lobster. (The Providence airport had a place you could by a lobster and take it home in a styrofoam box.) We left pretty early Monday morning and arrived back at the office later that afternoon. One of the other guys got him to leave his desk for a few minutes, and while he was gone I put the lobster on his desk chair. We got a good shriek out of him when he went back to his desk. :D

We had a regular customer who used to bring in 2 or 3 boxes of lobsters from Maine to San Francisco... was almost a nightly shipment on our inbound Boston flight. He was Maitre D for a downtown restaurant and also imported Pate from France once a week... Never tried his restaurant, but heard it was swanky.
He was cranky though.