A series of mistakes

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
Cleverly masquerading as a bookcase.

Overall came out not to bad, pretty standard bookcase.. Bunch of holes in the sides, simple 1" x 3/4" facing on all the pieces, fixed top, bottom, and middle shelves set into dados (plus a glued in kick plate on the bottom with a few glue blocks hidden under it to stabilize things a bit more), inset back, etc.. About 25" wide (total, spec is 24" inside), and 78" tall to match the adjacent desk assembly.
IMG_20191222_120648.jpg

Because of foreshortening from the picture, the top shelves look way taller than they actually are.. they're all about the same except the 3rd hole up is only 10" instead of 12"+-.

Where I got in the weeds was by being clever, I had offset the top a smidge to get a more complex glue line, no problem just add a little bit of inset banding (like on the side of a guitar body) - that was intentional. Then SOMEHOW I messed up the length of the face edging by about 1/2" and was pretty much out of clear material so.. I just dropped it down and did a slightly more complex overlay molding/edging on the sides. Not great but almost looks intentional :) Had I either just inset the top the same as the other fixed shelves (probably the smartest) or not messed up the face trim it would have been better though. Ah well boss is happy enough and what she don't know won't hurt her :)

IMG_20191222_120658.jpg

Well thanks for all the kind words, I do think it was a pretty good save but had to spend more than a few minutes scratching my head on it :) I figure it's good to show the oops when you have them sometimes anyway (if I showed them all I'd be posting hourly... :rofl:).

Looks pretty good from here! Now fill it up with some books!

Welp that didn't take long (forgive the rest of the mess, it's a work in progress squared). In fairness this cleared two other smaller bookcases that didn't fit the space very well for some other purposes.

IMG_20191225_090004.jpg