A Simple Box from Scrap

glenn bradley

I got a request or a simple box of a certain size. I had some cherry scrap left over from the quilt rack project and this seemed like a good way to use it up. The dimensions and intended use led me to want to reinforce the miters with keys.
Niki-Dremel-Box (1).jpg
LOML suggested I use some of the ebony I was gifted by the husband of the person asking for the box. These were pretty rough chunks of ebony but who is going to turn down free ebony!?! I ripped off a couple of strips on the bandsaw.
Niki-Dremel-Box (2).jpg
I drum sanded them to final thickness.
Niki-Dremel-Box (3).jpg
Niki-Dremel-Box (4).jpg
I don't have a ZCI on my small bandsaw so I slipped a piece of hardboard into service.
Niki-Dremel-Box (5).jpg
This let me cut the little wedges without launching any of them into space.
Niki-Dremel-Box (6).jpg
I also shaped a "pull" out of the same ebony stock.
Niki-Dremel-Box (7).jpg
I have to wait for the keys to set. Then I can flush them to the box sides and cut the top and bottom apart.

I ran out of gas and wasn't up to cutting the lid off and doing the hinge tonight so I put on a first color coat.
Niki-Dremel-Box (8).jpg
It is just Watco Fruitwood; 2 coats. I will touch up the color and top coat after I separate the lid and add the hinge. During that process I may scar things up a bit but Watco is very forgiving as to repair in the first 48 hours or so. Top coat will probably just be shellac.

I've done a lot of box threads so forgive me if I just kind of blow through this. My poor photo skills remain unchallenged; what I was trying to show here was a small steel screw used to cut threads before a brass screw is used for the hinge . . . bad focal point. I have used these Lee Valley 90 degree hinges for many years with good success. They are nice when you don't want to go the full Brusso level on hardware.
Niki-Dremel-Box (9).jpg
I cut the mortise for the hinge with a proper diameter router bit and stops on the fence at the router table.
Niki-Dremel-Box (10).jpg . Niki-Dremel-Box (11).jpg
The pull is epoxied. I have been using bits of wire as dowels for this task for many years with no failures to date. I tap the wires into drilled holes in the pull. I can then use the sharp ends of the wire like dowel centers to mark the hole locations on the box.
Niki-Dremel-Box (12).jpg
Drill the receiver holes on the box plus a couple of extra to let the epoxy get a grip and clamp the pull in place.
Niki-Dremel-Box (13).jpg
So, there is a little more scrap used up and out of my way.
Niki-Dremel-Box (14).jpg . Niki-Dremel-Box (15).jpg