A Terrible, Terrible Loss

Jonathan, your idea to bet your friend reminds me of the joke about the two guys who went to see the original True Grit with John Wayne.

As they were driving to the theater one of the men said to the other, "I'll bet you $10 that John Wayne falls off his horse in this movie."
The other guy responded indignantly, "I'll take that bet, NO way will John Wayne fall off of his horse."
Of course there is a scene where Rooster Cogburn is falling down drunk and he does fall off his horse.
Later as they are leaving the movie the man who lost pulls out a $10 bill and tries to give it to his friend.
His friend refuses it. "I cannot take your money as I saw the movie before and knew that he was going to fall off his horse.".
"Go ahead and take it; a bet is a bet. I saw the movie before as well but I never dreamed that John Wayne would fall off his horse again."

As far as Battlebots is concerned I think I pulled for every team that got knocked out. I never dreamed that Tantrum would win but as they say that machine is built like a brick, takes a licking and comes back ticking. I sure do enjoy that show. I love seeing all these smart people doing things I never dreamed of. Makes me have hope for the future.

I watch a lot of older BattleBots clips on YouTube, but haven't seen any of the current season. I pretty much never watch broadcast TV but ever since the whole pandemic thing I've subscribed to an assortment of streaming services, and I see BattleBots is on Discovery+. I'll have to check it out.

Well, Vaughn. Last night was the last of that season. The final championships. I liked Tantrum as well, but my favorite is Witch Doctor. Just when everyone is saying they don't stand a chance, they beat the daylights out of some one. Wheee!!! One thing for sure, these playoffs shows that the Minotaur team has some bad sports on it.

Well, Vaughn. Last night was the last of that season. The final championships. I liked Tantrum as well, but my favorite is Witch Doctor. Just when everyone is saying they don't stand a chance, they beat the daylights out of some one. Wheee!!! One thing for sure, these playoffs shows that the Minotaur team has some bad sports on it.
Discovery+ is streaming Seasons 3 through 6 (the one that just ended). I can binge watch at will. :thumb:

It is amazing to me to hear the weights of the robots and then see them fly 10+ feet in the air! Then some land, reright themselves and continue battling. Like NASA, there is so much technology that will be used in other applications just from this type of usage. Oh, and watch the Giant Nut trophy when they show it at either the beginning or end of the show, it is on a pedestal with robot "fingers" that move it in a circular motion and the tolerances of the ends of the fingers and edge of the platter holding the Giant Nut are quite amazing.

I have been enthralled with Battlebots since I first found it on TV. I enjoy watching smart young people do things that I am not capable of doing. I know very little about the engineering and how to build one of these robots and even less about how they are controlled. Seeing all these nice smart kids on TV gives me hope. And Dave, you are so correct, the Brazilian Minotaur team has consistently demonstrated that they are bad sports.

Another thing that amazes me is the cost of this sport. I have no idea how much money is required to build one of these robots let alone make sure you have enough spare parts to keep it functioning throughout a Battlebots tournament season. I did hear the commentators say that one of the robots was built for around $5K which was the bottom of the range for costs for one of these machines. I can only imagine the sick feeling the builders must have when their robot is destroyed during a fight.

I say congratulations to each and every team as you are all winners by creating such marvels. Good on all of you!