Votes: 27 81.8%
  • No, I'm not sure.

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Richards

Frank Fusco has brought to my attention that the letters SU are vague and don't clearly identify what they refer to. I'm curious as to how well known or unknown this is.

Last edited:
...the thing about acronyms....

I've never understood the reason to use acronyms...:huh: are we in such a hurry that we don't have the time to type out the word....I would think typing out the word removes any guesswork of what the original poster is trying to say. If I ask what an acronym stands for, someone has got to spend the time to spell it out anyway...:dunno:

I know what SU stands for in this case, but 6 more letters and a space bar removes any doubt...AFAIAC...YMMV.....:rofl:

Hi Dave,
I caught on to SU, because I was following Marty's posts at SMC and it was mentioned alot and I went searching for this SU and you as he tied you to SU. It was a rabbit hunt but I found it, even though my U looks like a distorted V on my monitor.:rofl:
But what about DAHMNNKITT? what is that :huh: and where is my borg? I think it fell and rolled under the table?:dunno: :rofl:
Hope you get more input
Shaz

Last edited:
Ah ha! Now I know...

I know about the BORG.

Here's one you drunks may have seen YCJCYAQFTJB.

Then from the computer world, there's YADA.

And the universal admonition: KISS KISS.

But I digress.....

It really depends, some we use all the time, and no one has a problem with them, OK.....(Okay?) but others are confusing.

I try (I do not always succeed, but I try) to use the full word the first time in a post, with the "Acronym" in brackets directly after it, like this.....

Sketch Up (SU) is a really handy program, and much easier to learn than most Computer Assisted Drafting (CAD) programs. I find SU has a much easier learning curve than CAD does, for the most part.

I think, if you do this, you can accommodate people who do not know the acronyms, and not spend a lot of time writing long words over and over again.

Just my two cents worth!

Cheers!

Steve Ash said:
...the thing about acronyms....

I've never understood the reason to use acronyms...:huh: are we in such a hurry that we don't have the time to type out the word....

I guess you must not know how Sloooooooooooow I TYPE, Steve. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
I make an effort not to use acronyms. When doing so, you are almost always going to encounter someone who does not know what the acroynm means. When I do use an acronym, I usually put the meaning in brackets after the first use in a document, letter, whatever.

Last edited:
I make an effort not to use acronyms. When doing so, you are almost always going to encounter someone who does not know what the acroynm means. When I do use an acronym, I usually put the meaning in brackets after the first use in a document, letter, whatever.

I bookmarked an acronym webpage because so many people were using them and I didn't know what they meant. I spend more time going to find out what it is that reading the post. I try not to use them much myself.

Has anyone seen that commercial with the mom and the daughter where the daughter is talking completely in acronyms, commercial has something to do with texting.

I bookmarked an acronym webpage because so many people were using them and I didn't know what they meant. I spend more time going to find out what it is that reading the post. I try not to use them much myself.

Has anyone seen that commercial with the mom and the daughter where the daughter is talking completely in acronyms, commercial has something to do with texting.

That 'commercial' is a public service announcement. (PSA) The texting has the girl saying "POS" for 'parent over shoulder. The person at the other end is an older man pervert who responds "MIP", meaning 'meet in person'. Parent had no idea what was being communicated.

I would have thought SU = shut up (also sometimes expressed with a F in the equation)

So while I voted yes I knew what it meant , I was incorrect

I rarely use them and don't particularly care for them , I spend my time at several boards that discuss vastly different topics meanings can change from board to board

Status
Not open for further replies.