Adding a Camera to my Laser

Don Baer

Staff member
I ordered a USB camera for the laser that is compatible with Lightburn. From everything I have read once set up and calibrated it will make setting up the jobs very simple. According to the You Tube I have watched once set up you can literally place the material to be engraved anywhere on the table and light burn will know exactly where it is thus eliminating the need to draw them in lightburn. Then it is a matter of putting the graphics on the on the piece that is projected by the camera size and orient it and print. It will arrive on Sunday so I will report on this thread how it works.

I ordered a USB camera for the laser that is compatible with Lightburn. From everything I have read once set up and calibrated it will make setting up the jobs very simple. According to the You Tube I have watched once set up you can literally place the material to be engraved anywhere on the table and light burn will know exactly where it is thus eliminating the need to draw them in lightburn. Then it is a matter of putting the graphics on the on the piece that is projected by the camera size and orient it and print. It will arrive on Sunday so I will report on this thread how it works.
which camera? what video?
thanks

The Camera came in yesterday but it was to mate to install it on the laser. Today I installed it (took all of 20 minutes) then I ran a calibration on the lens and also on the camera on the machine. This too a little over and hour. The results were well worth the expense. This save so much time in setting up a job.

Now I just put the material anywhere I want to on the machine. I don't worry about location or orientation and take a picture in Lightburn.
20230605_132445.jpg
Next I selection the artwork I want.
20230605_142948.jpg
Resize it, place it on the piece to engrave and rotate it to it lines up.
20230605_132814.jpg
Select my speed and power setting like always
20230605_132639.jpg
The result speak for them selves. This is truly a time saver.

20230605_144634.jpg
It make jobs like this leather key chain a Piece of cake.
20230605_151953.jpg

Using the camera makes life so much easier. I will be attending a memorial service for my Nephew who passed away last year at the young age of 56. I was his Godfather. He was an avid ball player and played pony leage, American legion Ball and even played for the Hollywood Expo's a PCBL league up till shortly before he died. I decided to make a little memorial token for those attending the memorial.

This is a 2"round wooden disc with a small hole predrilled so they can be hung like a charm. I am putting a small hook on each one

20230616_162300.jpg

Since I need to make a bunch I just place the discs on the table randomly 16 at a time then in light burn using the camera function I position the artwor using copy and past orienting each one as I go along. It take about 20 seconds per piece. Then I hit start and let the laser do the rest.

20230619_114950.jpg

This would be a very hard task without the camera.
I am putting a small hook on each one. The cost per item $.07 for the blank and $.02 for the hook.

20230619_121122.jpg

I 60 pieces when done