All thing considered....

My bio tells a small bit of my life , you know the starting points. I thinking ending points these day. Retiring, moving or staying put, working from the studio at home behind the house or making trips to the shop. That's the biggie, Can't I let it go. Jarrod has 100% handle on the workings and I find myself getting frustrated more then usual, breathing is a bit harder dealing with the dust, but the shop is still my get-a-way place when the day is done.
I've thought about it and there is nothing I would change, just rolling with the flow these days. No more 5 year goals, maybe that's it, I need or feel the need to venture into something new some new way to express a unseen hidden talent.
So just couscous, All things considered......

After I lost my wife of 48 years last January I went through a period of adjustment where I did a lot of soul searching before I got the grips around my direction. I went back to many things that I hadn't done since before I met her and now I finally have a direction and some goals set. In a way that's what your going though with your business it been you wife for so many years and now Jarod has stepped up so you can do some of the things that the business has kept you from doing.

Dave, you have been given good advice above. Why not a 5 year plan? Make one, it just will be different and includes Shelly more. Come to Indiana next Monday and Tuesday and meet up with us at Shipshewanna.
Jon, Yes there is great advice from everyone and I take them to heart. thanks for the invite, Shelly is away next week or I would definitely take up the offer. If you have another time avaliable lets plan something.

Creators have to keep creating. At least that's me. When I retired I said to myself that I was going to get into doing something completely different, sit back and take it easy. That only worked for a couple of months, and then the urge to "make something again" started growing stronger and stronger. I also realized that when I don't stay active, I get depressed easily. For me, I have to be making things to avoid depression. Staying active keeps my body working more efficiently and my brain active too. So I can't slow down. I always need to be learning and experiencing "new to me" things. At 79 with 7 heart surgeries, a pacemaker, surviving cancer twice, and two metal knees, most people would sit on the porch in a rocking chair for the remainder of their lives, and then they usually don't live that much longer. I've seen a few friends do this within weeks of retiring. They sit on the porch or living room rocker, and they wait for the end, which seems to come for them within a year or two.

I haven't even sat in a rocking chair in about 20 years. I believe that if you stop walking, in a short time you won't be able to walk, and if you stop challenging yourself to learn new things, your brain will stop working efficiently too. I truly believe that "If you don't use it, you will loose it !" So I'm making things and learning new things, to keep me mentally and physically active and keep the depression away. I'm staying as active as this old broken body will allow, and I have 1, 3, and 5 year plans in place. Unfortunately lately, my 1 year plan is slipping into a 2 year plan and the others are moving out too. I guess at 79 my body is finally getting too old to function at the speed that it once did. This isn't concerning me much, because I still have my goals and plans. It's just causing the dates to slip out a bit. That isn't so important either, because I don't ever want to finish
and then go sit in that rocking chair to wait for the end, as I know that I won't last much longer if I just sit there.

Charley

Charley,
Understand your motivations completely... I do sit in my rocker on the porch occasionally, usually after I've been working in the yard and need to catch my breath for a bit... I let the strip of grass on the hill from my yard into the ditch out front get too high, mowed it with the push mower and by the time I was finished was really huffing and puffing, so I took a 15 minute break to catch my breath before I climbed on the tractor to mow the rest of the yard. That took another 2 1/2 or 3 hours. Was huffing and puffing again, but only sat for about 10 minutes before I got up and started dinner for the wife and me.

I very rarely get depressed as I've always said I refuse to be depressed. I'm still in good health, but I am slowing down a little. Haven't had any of your problems and hopefully will get out of the world without them. It is getting harder for me to get up when I have to get down on the shop floor to pick up something that invariably rolls under a work bench or behind something, so hopefully the knees will hold out.

I don't do much beyond my wood turning and as long as it stays fun, plan to keep on doing it. My friend that runs my wood supply store father was still turning at 95... figure I can too.