Amazing Flatwork chair!

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Just thought I'd share my latest piece of flatwork! :D

bogchair.jpg

Such fine craftsmanship, I'm sure you will agree!:rolleyes:

Basically, I wanted a chair I could stick up on one of the hills behind the house so Bucky and I could hike up to it in the mornings and enjoy a cup of coffee while the sun rises. While I was researching chairs, I came across the 'plans' for a '2 board chair' and thought that for the price of a 2x12 and 15 minutes work of drill and jigsaw work, it would be just the ticket.

I hear this style of chair is actually pretty common on the medevial and civil war re-enactor circuits...

It's actually surprisingly comfortable!

I Could see myself sitting on your chair, enjoying a cuppa coffee, looking over the morning desert, pup at my side, yep nice chair and setting Brent, enjoy it for us:thumb:

nice joinery and great fit and finish brent:)

Sanded that construction grade lumber all the way up to 80 grit. Pulled the splintery bits off the edges and sanded a bit of a roudned edge on the corners.

Then I Slapped on a liberal coat of Boiled Linseed Oil. Didn't even let it dry completely till I took it partway up the hill. I'll be surprised if it lasts till spring!

The only problem is my wife actually wants me to make one for her too. The good thing is she sleeps in much later than I do and doesn't enjoy coffee. I'll make her one, but I don't think I'll have to worry about her joining us on the morning coffee break! :rofl:

Now I just have to get it up the hill a little higher, but that sounds like a lot of work.

Here's tonights view. Bucky and I shared the view with a nice Sam Adams Oktoberfest....

bogchairview.jpg

brent, now that the dogs eyes look better, maybe he should go easy on the coffee drinking, or at least decaf.

There is a local flea market I go to now and then, and there is a guy who sells those chairs, but they are handcarved with all types of animal scenes and things. I never priced one, but Im sure he gets a good penny.
His chair is rounded on top, and has a cutout to use as a handle to carry it, on both pieces.

That's some fine, high-end craftsmanship there, Brent. :p If your Borg lumber is anything like what I've seen out here, you could find a couple of cupped 2x12s that would already be pre-curved for a nice sculpted fit. :D

That's some fine, high-end craftsmanship there, Brent. :p If your Borg lumber is anything like what I've seen out here, you could find a couple of cupped 2x12s that would already be pre-curved for a nice sculpted fit. :D

Oh they were precupped! I made sure place the concave cupped sides of the lumber towards the fleshy parts for maximum comfort :thumb:

I have no idea why they call them 'Bog Chairs', but this one I'm thinking should be called a 'Borg Chair'...

Hmmm, looks like the remains of an Acme Coyote construction there in the foreground... :rofl:

Now wait, I say, now wait just a cotton pickin' minute! That ain't not coyote construction! That's fine home buildin' from my way of seeing! ;)

Nice chair, Brent. And nice view too! I haven't seen that far since before I moved out east! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

That there is an African Chair

Hey Brent

You just made me very homesick.:( Reminded me of my travels around the equator in Africa.

That is an African chair. african chair.jpg

They carve these out of solid wood. No HD or Borg there to buy lumber from. In some cases the chair tells a story. Real art since there is more than one expression taking place. I had one of those made from very hard dark wood came from a small country called Malawi trully one of the best places on earth. When there i thought it was the original garden of Eden and that the people there were how the creator meant us to be. Their slogan is the "The heart of Africa".
Ok enough of the hijack, i just couldnt resist giving them a bit of publicity.

Great chair to sit on and contemplate life especially with a good scene, Samuel Adams and your dog.

But Brent I am wondering how that Thanksgiving furniture is going to get done with all this side tracking?:rofl::rofl:

Brent, those are on my list to build this winter. My MIL has a cabin and needs some new chairs for the fire ring. Wish I had a view like that to enjoy a coffee or a cold one, looks real peaceful! :thumb:

But Brent I am wondering how that Thanksgiving furniture is going to get done with all this side tracking?:rofl::rofl:

Sigh... I'm just going to have to face reality I guess. I doubt the wood will even be here in time to get much of a start. Oh well, there's always Christmas!
:D

Well I made 6 of them chairs back in the 80's to accommodate guest at camp for F & I encampments. Now I am being reminded of a camp table. I'll have to pull it out a show some pic's.

BTW excellent chair for a morning sit. :thumb:

You're right, that's a medieval seat, there are some webs that deal with medieval furniture and some guys who also make it with the same sort of tools.

That one looks great and comfortable, gravity helps to make your back rest on it properly without an effort.

A question if I may about the view pic. What is that on the center left. The rests of a chariot or an abandoned farming appliance like some sort of plow?

A question if I may about the view pic. What is that on the center left. The rests of a chariot or an abandoned farming appliance like some sort of plow?

The previous owners left us with some 'yard art'.

The object in the lower left is a very old horse drawn hay mower. The horse would pull it, and it would cause the blades on the sickle to reciprocate back and forth. I'd have to check the date on it, but I think its 80-90 years old? We've got a horse drawn disc, horse draw hay rake, and an old hay wagon scattered around the front yard. For whatever reason, this object didn't make the cut for being out and up front.

Hey Brent

You just made me very homesick.:( Reminded me of my travels around the equator in Africa.

That is an African chair. View attachment 38310

They carve these out of solid wood. No HD or Borg there to buy lumber from. In some cases the chair tells a story. Real art since there is more than one expression taking place. I had one of those made from very hard dark wood came from a small country called Malawi trully one of the best places on earth. When there i thought it was the original garden of Eden and that the people there were how the creator meant us to be. Their slogan is the "The heart of Africa".
Ok enough of the hijack, i just couldnt resist giving them a bit of publicity.

Great chair to sit on and contemplate life especially with a good scene, Samuel Adams and your dog.

thanx rob, that is what I see in the flea market, with all the carvings.

Well, moved the chair up in the hill a bit farther, and sitting on it, it feels more like a throne, where I'm able to survey my entire domain!

Hiked up there twice today with Bucky. Once for sunrise coffee, and one for sunset brewski! I don't really like the hike, but I do like the view. Hopefully I can keep up the hikes for a while. Starbuck sure does like it.