Amplifier recommendations

Alex Terner

Hi, I have a question to local musicians community
6 months ago I got a peavey classic 50 for $275
The amp is good. However I rely mostly on pedals and the clean tone of the amp.
So I'm looking to "upgrade" to an amp with awesome clean tone, and that works well with pedals. What amp fits this criteria?
Also the peavey classic 50 is so heavy that its not practical for me to lug around everywhere (around 60-70 lbs), so I'm also looking for a lighter amp for practice and medium sized venues (the amp is mic'd up to a sound system anyway so it's headroom/volume is not high on the priority list).
Any help and amp recommendations is appreciated, and if you need more info, please let me know.

So subjective . . . you don't mention your instrument so I will assume guitar. We all know guitar players are confused as to what all those other instruments are for :D. Let's clarify your instrument and then give it a go ;)

Please read this as humorous. We all pick on drummers too. You know the old newspaper story . . . 3 musicians and drummer killed in car wreck. I don't even qualify as a musician anymore so pick on me anytime ;-)

Welcome to the forum, Alex. :wave: What kind of music do you play?

I've not used one myself but I know a number of pros who say good things about the Boss Katana line for a small lightweight combo amp. The Vox AC-15 also has a good reputation as a pedal platform. And it's hard to beat a Fender Deluxe Reverb (the '65 era tube model).

I have tube combo amps from Fender, Music Man, and Mesa Boogie, but they've been collecting dust ever since I went the full amp & effects modeling route. I'm currently using a Fractal Axe-Fx III, so I have almost 300 amp models, countless effects, and a couple thousand speaker cabinet choices, all in a 3u rack space.