Another batch of mills working

Chuck Ellis

I sold a pepper mill in November that was to be a Christmas present... the buyer contacted me that her husband loved the mill but thought it looked lonesome sitting on the table by itself and wanted another to match... I just happend to have 3 crush grinds in the works and sent her pictures... none will match hers as I mostly don't make duplicates and hers had some spectraply incorporated in the blank and I don't have any more, but did have another spectraply pattern that I've used in one of my new ones... she's actually leaning towards a different one that doesn't have any spectraply in the blank....
344127U (1).jpg 344127U (2).jpg Bloodwood, Birds Eye Maple and Spectra Royal Jacaranda.

344128U (1).jpg 344128U (3).jpg 344128U (4).jpg 344128U (5).jpg 344128U (7).jpg
This is the one she's leaning towards, it was part of a larger blank that I cut at an angle.... this piece wasn't quite wide enough to make a mill, so I added a couple of boards on one side... I evidently didn't note the contents of the blank... the spalted wood is Beech I think, not sure what the darker wood is now.... on the back side, the straight pieces are walnut, maple and bradford pear.
344129U.jpg This is the other half of the looped blank above... again, didn't denote the woods...
The mills are not finished, just has sanding sealer and 3 or 4 coats of wipe on poly... need a couple more to finish up and make them as shiny as I want.

Have you tried selling pairs? Might be worth it to post up a couple. You'd have to have some feature to distinguish between salt and pepper, but that should be easy enough...maybe just size?

I haven't tried to make pairs in the crush grind mills... I can't think of a way to distinguish them other than a variation in style, beads & coves, etc...
I have made pairs in the crank operated mills...both 6" and 4"... I put different colored cranks on them to distinguish them... black for pepper and chrome for salt...but it's getting hard to find the grinder mechanism in both metals... for a while it looked as if they were discontinuing the 6" grinders which are my best sellers... I did get a supply last week, but only could get black cranks and my supplier was out of stock for part of my order.