Another large printer I am considering.

Don Baer

Staff member
Since the previous post has gremlins in it and won't let me do anything I'll start a new one. This is the second printer I am considering, the CR10 S PLUS. it has a nominal 20"x20"x20" print area. and is in the same ball park as the FT-6 which has a 28" x14"x15" print area.

CR-10S plus
https://www.sainsmart.com/products/sainsmart-x-creality3d-cr-10-plus-3d-printer

FT-6
https://folgertech.com/products/folger-tech-ft-6-3d-printer-kit

both are BIG the FT-6 is made in USA the CR2-10 is a CHI/TI.

reviews on both are mixed.. Lots to consider.

My preference would probably still be the FT6. Both still look to need some upgrades to make them more stable and easier to use, but the frame itself would be beneficial for creating an enclosure for printing in.

The creality has one motor on the z axis, so check to see if the upgrade kit can be added to it for adding the second motor/rod. or the pulley system and rod. Do either have the auto level features available turn-key?

Slicing software would be the other consideration. Cura is free and has improved over the years since I last tried it, but I've stuck with Simplify3d ($149) and haven't regretted the purchase. Also haven't felt the need to go back and try the updates to Cura, but YMMV.

Right now the FT-6 seems to have more Bang for the buck. Several things I have found out so far. None of these low budget work right out of the box they all seem to need to need tweaks once they are assembled. The FT-6 had the fact that it is made in New Hampshire so local support should be better than something made in Chinese should you need support. As for programming since the Folgers runs Marlin software on the MKS controller all popular slicer will work so that doesn't seem to be a problem. The Creality doesn't say which board they use however they claim that all slicer will run on it. The Creality seems a lot easier to put together however like you all pointed out it doesn't look anywhere near as robust and since it is a bigger printer this could be a problem. with the FT, the Z axis is the table moving up and down not the extruder and the X and Y only move the hot end. This means that for printing since most of the movement is in the X and Y and with the bowden tube extruder it should print smoother and more accurately since there is less mass to accelerate and decelerate. One of the complaints about the Creality is that the table being so large it cannot accelerate fast enough due to it mass. Auto leveling is and option on both but the FT-6 it can be ordered for just $20 with the dual bowden extruder. I also have heard that heated bed on the Creality is only 330x330 while the bed is 500x500 so I guess that might be a problem on big prints with certain materials.

Darren the Creality 10 S and the 10S plus both come with dual Z axis according to the specs.

I consider automatic bed leveling a priority on these large bed printer since as the distance from side to side and front to back grows so does the chances of miss alignment. On the Creality with the bed driven from the center I can see where it might be easy for the edges to be on a slightly different plane in the Z direction where the DT-6 has more support for the bed on the outer edges. Don't know if this is true but looking at it it makes sense.

Lots to consider more research...You tube movies to watch software to learn.
these seem to be the only 2 printer for under $1000 that will do anything larger than 330x330 but I'll keep looking.

Last edited: