Another Poplar Bowl

Ted Calver

Staff member
18.25" x 8.5"...Same tree as the procrastination bowl, but not quite as spalted and a bit darker in color. This was the last of the big rough outs that have been kicking me in the shins for the past few years. Holds at least 1.75L.
I may need to build a bigger table. These are just big old clunky bowls with thick walls and small feet, but I bet my kids will love them.
IMG_8248-C.jpg,IMG_8256.jpeg ,IMG_8258-C.jpg

So, do you wipe on or use a brush to finish your work with JD?

Nice bowl. Poplar is a great turning wood and it seems few people know about it as you don't see it posted all that often.
The JD is for celebrating the end of a project. I've had that bottle for 20 years, so you can see how many finished projects have been celebrated around here. :rofl:
We have an abundance of oak, sweetgum and poplar in this area and occasionally cherry and walnut. I can usually snag whatever I need from neighbors taking down trees. When we have a serious hurricane or nor'easter (it's been a while) there is a lifetime supply of turn-able woods piled by the side of the road.

The JD is for celebrating the end of a project. I've had that bottle for 20 years, so you can see how many finished projects have been celebrated around here. :rofl:
We have an abundance of oak, sweetgum and poplar in this area and occasionally cherry and walnut. I can usually snag whatever I need from neighbors taking down trees. When we have a serious hurricane or nor'easter (it's been a while) there is a lifetime supply of turn-able woods piled by the side of the road.
In my area we have 10 varieties of pine, poplar, several different oaks and a few other species. The soil here is mostly sand and almost all the trees (except for pine) of any size are brash wood. Most of the so called hardwoods don't seem to have much integrity. Poplar is the exception. It seems to thrive almost as well as the pines. The difference in quality of hardwoods from the Piedmont and mountain regions are truly amazing.

I agree that those would be beautiful lifetime popcorn bowls. In my family "the pop corn bowl" was used often and for more years than I can count.