Another reason to have a 3d printer - Ladder feet

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, a 'multi-function' ladder I've had for many years had fallen on hard times. Left outside, the plastic non-slip feet had degraded in the sunlight to the point where once side lost its foot, and the other side wasn't far behind.

3d printer to the rescue. I drew up a quick 2 part foot to go on it. I printed one part in hard plastic (pla) and the other part in TPU (Soft rubbery type of plastic).

ladder foot 1.PNGladder foot 2.jpg

The tpu is just a solid friction fit. Pretty hard to move once it got it in there.

I'm thinking I might have rounded that foot a bit more, and might revise it in the future. If I do, I'll probably use some super glue gel to fix it permanently, but I doubt it's going to go anywhere.

Very cool. :thumb: I was thinking about the potential for UV degradation of the feet on my ladder recently. Now I have an idea where I can buy some if the need arises, lol. (Actually, it looks like they're available for my Little Giant online.)

Very cool. :thumb: I was thinking about the potential for UV degradation of the feet on my ladder recently. Now I have an idea where I can buy some if the need arises, lol. (Actually, it looks like they're available for my Little Giant online.)

Yeah, I'm still conducting uv tests on some pla. I have a cell phone holder out by the hot tub that has been there a couple years and it still seems ok.

these are quite a bit beefier than the old ones, so should last a while, I hope.