another sign

Dan Noren

Staff member
while at my brother's party today, one of our friends asked if i could make a sign for her other's birthday. i said ok. she liked the idea of the scorched pine, with the engraved lettering. now to give it a try...

picked up the lumber today. was going to cut it, but too much time was used in taping and painting the lines on the battle shots game.

Attachments

• 001 board selected.JPG
    001 board selected.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 16
worked up the design, and had her check it out. at first i had the upper text curved in an arch, but she preferred it to be straight,

Attachments

• 002 final design.JPG
    002 final design.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 11
before i called it a day, i cut the parts for, and glued up the blank for the sign. i'm thinking about torching it while it is in the clamps, and leave it there for a few days. see if that settles the problem with cupping.

Attachments

• 003 boards cut for blank.JPG
    003 boards cut for blank.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 004 sign blank glued up.JPG
    004 sign blank glued up.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 10
took it partially out of the clamps, and torched it. as i have had problems with cupping, i decided to put the other 2 clamps back on, and give it a couple of days.

Attachments

• 005 ready for torching.JPG
    005 ready for torching.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 006 all torched.JPG
    006 all torched.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 14
are you torching both sides of the sign, if not that my be what is causing the cupping. By torching one side and no t he other I am sure the uneven moisture content caused by drying out one fave of the board and no the other is the culprit.
Next time try scorching both sides to ty to equalize the pressure.
JMHO

got this one done pretty much over the last couple of days. the first half of this time off has been one snake bite after the next. this time it bit me when i realized (after i started), that i had forgotten to realign the text and detail work to the way the board was on the cnc. after fixing that, and realizing that i could save this project, kept going until it was way late friday night. finished up the carving saturday, and will place the braces on the back for the slight cupping on sunday, and then the finishing begins.

Attachments

• 007 start of the carving.jpg
    007 start of the carving.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 008 start of the good carving.JPG
    008 start of the good carving.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 009 friday stopping point.JPG
    009 friday stopping point.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 010 text carving done.JPG
    010 text carving done.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 011 curved detail started.JPG
    011 curved detail started.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 012 curved detail finished.JPG
    012 curved detail finished.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 14
cut it to size today, and torched the ends. after that was done, a good dose of boiled linseed oil. linda was very happy with how it is coming along.

Attachments

• 013 cut to finished size.JPG
    013 cut to finished size.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 014 oiled.JPG
    014 oiled.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 13