Any Adirondack Chair Recommendations/Tips?

Ryan Reyes

I am going to build some Adirondack chairs for my backyard. I want them to be comfortable enough to sit in without any cushions or pillows.

I am thinking the most important aspects will be the curved back and curving the end of the seat where your legs bend.

Does anyone have any recommendations or tips for me?

I've built about a dozen of the Norm Abram design. They are comfortable in shape, but he left out one important piece. A side to side brace about under the seat back to keep the rear legs from twisting when the chair gets used on uneven ground. I tried treated lumber, but skin contact with it made me replace the seats, back, and arm rests with pine and paint them. I then tried Cypress, but expensive, so I went with white oak. If I make any more I'm going with Ipe this time. Norm's chair seat and back shape is quite comfortable. Maybe the weight of Ipe will keep people from moving them around. Not sure yet about the cost of Ipe yet either.

Charley

let me know if you got the plans. easy peasy plans, and Ive used over a dozen plans, this one was the easiest, quickest and most comfortable.
and Ive adjusted the plans as Ive made that plan for a 450 lb person. I used 2 bys for legs and 5/4 decking for seat and back instead of 3/4 inch

let me know if you got the plans. easy peasy plans, and Ive used over a dozen plans, this one was the easiest, quickest and most comfortable.
and Ive adjusted the plans as Ive made that plan for a 450 lb person. I used 2 bys for legs and 5/4 decking for seat and back instead of 3/4 inch
You are awesome Allen. Thanks for sharing the plans with me!

hope they work out for you.....you will be amazed how comfortable they are....for just wood....I dont recall now, but I know Ive given larry a set, I believe bob gibson a set. not sure who else here. oh, jon shively I believe got a set....anyone I visited when I had my pickup or suv.....now I can barely fit my toothbrush and underwear in the convertible when I travel.
please post pics if you decide on them

No, Jon Shively did not get a set. Lou Ann Shively got a set of chairs from Allen! As she got a bowl from Ted and Vaughn. And a lidded box from Tom as well as a family crest from Toni. The painting all of you with Dave is actually mine! :bliss: (it is as it should be, gifts for putting up with me :cool:). Thank you again one and all for anything received from all of you via this wonderful forum.

I told you didn't I Ryan, Allen is the Adirondack chair guru!

My niece near me is having a baby end of July and their closing date on their new house is august 1
However that turns out I decided to make them a set of chairs and a child a chair
Someone on here mentioned the fence pickets are inexpensive at Lowe's
I went to Lowe's this monrning
I was the only person in lumber area
1x6 by 72 inches are 3.68
I bought a bunch
I'm going to see with cuts just how much less it is to build with the fence pieces at 6 feet then the 1x 8 which are more than double that price
I started cutting will post outcome when I finish cutting 2 chairs

ok, got all parts cut to length.

first, the way I did it this time with 1x6 pressure treated fence pickets at 3.68 each, cost me 51 dollars for 2 chairs(all the wood cut to size)
I have alot of leftover cutoffs, loads of 2 inch strips which wont help me
this is because alot of the parts on my plans are 3 and a half inches wide, so that leaves approx 2 inches left which I cant apply to any plans.
there are short pieces that are still 5 and a half inches wide which I will use for the childrens seat.

I cant find 1x8 pressure treated at lowes, they only show 1x6 near me, but I believe the 1x8s are up to around 9 bucks or so in home depot. Its usually takes around 3.5 to 4 boards to make one chair, so now, the pickets still work out better in the long run.
but if I make again(I have alot of pickets left still, I purchased 24), I will use the cheaper pickets, around 2.25 each, and purchase 1x4 pickets even cheaper since many parts are only 3.5 inches wide, no waste or very little waste cuts.

I probably need another 1 and a half pickets to finish off parts for childrens chair. ONly making one of those., so cost wise Im making 3 chairs for under 60 bucks in wood.

another few bucks in screws and glue. Im not painting them, they are not even 30 years old, they have plenty of energy, let them paint them in a few months from now.

Im guesstimating that if you purchase the non contact ground show pressure treated , the less expensive, and purchase 1x4s for the 3 and a half inch parts, you can build a set for around 40 bucks. Not bad since 10 years ago it cost me 23 bucks each chair.

I have alot of outdoor paint in fire engine red and flamingo pink(florida house color), if they want to use it, they are more then welcome too. my guess is they will paint it their favorite sports teams colors.

whatever, I cant wait to get back from my trip to hold the new baby. New babies fascinate me, and everyone knows me, so they let me hold their newborns. I guess its the reason I grew up loving miniture models, babies are such perfect little human beings. anyway, build some chairs, anyone would love them, they comfy as heck, and they arent that expensive and will keep you busy and will be enjoyed for years.(make em out of white oak if you can get it cheap)

Im going to take that 40 feet of 2 inch strips and make a small table for my grandson to put next to his adirondack chair outside, hes constantly putting his food and snacks on the ground because theres no place to put it down outside.

I'm just trying to keep myself occupied
It's so bad now with the heat my weight and arthritis I'm diving into the scrap piles and making anything
I found this piece of bass wood so I made it into a bus for my grandson
Not painted yet but I made the people on the lathe and even gave the bus driver a hat
My flower died in my doggie planter so I made flowers from the 1/4 inch ply I threw out in trash
Yes I go through my own trash very sad

Attachments

• 0B5F813C-ADF5-4747-8242-6DF680FAB324.jpeg
    0B5F813C-ADF5-4747-8242-6DF680FAB324.jpeg
    308.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 99D316C4-6059-4017-A4C4-AE7A258265C2.jpeg
    99D316C4-6059-4017-A4C4-AE7A258265C2.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 10
Treated lumber in contact with skin is not a good idea. Neither is the top surface of tables that will have food placed on them. I've made many Adirondack chairs and tables and learned this the hard way. For every other part, it's fine. Use white oak, hickory, or something else for the skin and food contact areas. Even white pine, but you will be replacing it every few years.

i scrapped several chairs that were make with all treated lumber after my wife and her friends developed rashes wherever their skin touched the treated lumber while they sat in those newly made chairs. It didn't heal quickly either.

Charley

So I finished cutting the children's chair parts and have more than enough for a small side table

total wood cost from Lowe's using the fencing 3/4 inch cost me 58.88 plus tax (16 pieces)for the 4 pieces
I have to start rounding over every part and sand

All three chairs parts rounded over just need some light sanding before assemble
Plenty of leftover strips I made a small table for the children's chair
I will drill a hole in center slat and anchor a small beach style umbrella the umbrella is 23 bucks on amazon
I like to add shade umbrellas for any chairs I make for kids
Pocket screws in aprons very simple assembly
I have enough strips left over I will make another kids table for my grandson when I get back
I won't be in shop till saturday
No rush on this but I want it done by end of month

Attachments

• 1576A061-9737-469E-8C5D-6CCC7A80488B.jpeg
    1576A061-9737-469E-8C5D-6CCC7A80488B.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 243868F0-CE15-47AF-9C99-4232A1F56A5A.jpeg
    243868F0-CE15-47AF-9C99-4232A1F56A5A.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 12
Oh a suggestion to anyone making these chairs
When making back legs I suggest taping legs together and cutting top curved section together so they match up exactly
Even with a jig cutting with bandsaw still isn't exact