Any ideas?

The shelves are plywood with edging from the photo. I'm not sure how far I would go to get a closer look. I agree with some sort of newspaper or magazine "rack" to someone's way of thinking. Seems fairly impractical to me which probably led to its current locale. I think it looks right at home in a thrift store ;-)

I have a piece that is very similar. The one my wife and I built more than 45 years ago is from a kit more than 45 years ago. The major difference is that the "shelves" on my unit are series of dowels mounted at an angle from horizontals that connect the two uprights. There are 5 dowels in each shelf (front and back) which fit into holes in the cross pieces and also into larger beaded dowels on the end that is accessed for use. My wife uses it for her magazines, newspapers, and etc. I don't want to go into the etc......

One other difference in mine is that the top sits atop the verticals and not between them as in the piece pictured.

I don't remember the name of the manufacturer but we also built an end table with a file cabinet drawer in the lower section and a regular drawer under the top. It is a testament to the quality of these kits that they are still in use after more than 45 years.