Anycube Chiron large format 3 D printer is here

Tom, I need to make some brackets so I can put a roof on my off road UTV and I also new to make a sun visor to put on the GPS on the same vehicle. I need shade now that it's getting hotter out and the sun can make it real hard to see the screen when you are out. That'll keep it busy for a few days and help justify the expense. (as if one ever need to justify spending money on a new tools). Well I off to put it together and get the bed leveled.

It’s amazing what can be done with 3D printers, good first projects for it, have fun and protect you skin from the harsh sun you have down your way 🙂

a sun visor to put on the GPS on the same vehicle.

Note that PLA (the most common and easy to use filament) tends to get droopy if it gets very hot (the lower melt/flow temperature is what makes it nice for printing with..). I know that's been a problem for folks in OR so I'm imagining squared in AZ.

I'd still start with getting PLA to work well and then move on to other filament types because PLA is soooo much easier to work with.

I've played a little with PETG which is probably good enough and not nearly as nasty to work with fume wise as ABS. PETG can be brittle if you don't get it quite right and getting the bed adhesion and flow was a bit of a hair tearing out experience (eventually got it though... just takes time).

well it's alive.

20210408_093115.jpg

The assembly was very easy just 4 longs screws and 8 T nut screw to put the gantry on then I had to plug in the steppers and limits switched. The wiring was already done last I had to put the display on and plug it into the wall. All in all about 1/2 hour. It came complete with all the tools and some spare nuts and screw as well as all the tools. It also has a spare hot end and the tools to clean out the nozzle as well as a spool of PLA. As per the book I'll do a manual level to get it close then I'll use the level probe and the auto level will level the table looking at 25 different places on the table lad but not least I'll run their check program which take about 3 hours to run. More to report later.

I did the auto leveling and it worked as expected then I ran a test program that tests the leveling over the entire 400mm x 400 mm surface. It's a series of circles that are repeated over and over again. the entire program would take over 3 hours to print but I think I have it good enough.

20210408_150000.jpg

I did need to adjust the nozzle height at the beginning to get proper adhesion but so far I am happy, I need to get the printer talking to the computer now so I can get Cura working on the machine. So Far so good.

well I got the computer and the printer talking but I screwed up and instead of backing the PLA out of the extruder to change over to ABS I cut it and tried to feed it through the extruder :( which doesn't work well with a bowdon tube so now I need to take the bow

don tube off and unstick it or change to another tube :mad:. Enough for today my head hurts and I feel an adult beverage calling me. 🍷

Last edited:
Make sure whenever you mess with changing the filament to have it heated up. First time I didn't, and ruined some stuff, lol.

I still have to take the bowden tube off every now and then to change filament.

And so the learning curve continues.
Lesson 1. Filament will break in the middle of a Bowden tube.
2. You can't get 2 mm PTFE at ACE hardware.
3. when the filament stops feeding the nozzles will clog.
4. springs will fly across the rooms and get lost. That's what happens when you are not careful taking apart the filament feeder.
5. ACE hardware does carry springs.
6. Take your time and read ALL the instructions.... :oops:
Not a good day, I now have a spare hot end coming ( be here tomorrow). I also ordered an upgrade to the filament feeder (Just in case)
2mm PTFE will not get here until Sunday (The new hot end comes with the Bowden tube on it.) along with a dozen spare nozzles.
So I now have to wait another day before I can print my brackets.
Nothing wrong with the printer, just the operator. Some lessons are learned the hard way.

There is a learning curve with all of these robots. I've definitely hosed up a hot end before by twisting the throat tube right off.

I think there is a vortex in my shop somewhere that eats springs and small screws, which is why I have so many extra of them, just in case I lose one, lol.

well the new extruder came in yesterday so I decided to print my first part. These are come brackets I will be using to put a top on my Side by side.

20210411_201619.jpg20210412_050050.jpg

I am more than please with this as a first printing and and well satisfied with my purchase. I would definitely recommend this machine. I'll print the side brackets today