Artificial Intelligence

As a big fan of science fiction I am reminded of the Robot and Foundation novels by Isaac Asimov. In this series of books robots that are indistinguishable from humans exist. They are able to do anything that a human can do with a few exceptions. They cannot create beautiful music or art. They can reproduce beautiful music and art but their positronic brains cannot conceive of new music or new art. They have no imagination and they cannot lie. They cannot reproduce. Oh, they can build another robot but that is not the same as creating life.

Interestingly enough in Asimov's novels there are no all-powerful evil robots. They are constrained by the three laws. The laws are as follows: “(1) a robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm; (2) a robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law; (3) a robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.” Since the positronic brain of these robots can learn and retain information they would be considered artificial intelligence but the three laws prevents them from doing evil.

Will the AI" brains" man is creating now have any such restraints? Let us hope so.
I'm not a fan of Asimov, prefer most of the more modern SciFi writers.... but I do notice a running theme in most of them that AI does have the restraints against harm to humans. It's been a number of years since I read the 2001 Space Odyssey, but the AI in that one seemed to be most concerned with his own survival than that of Dave.

I've always been terrible at spelling, some words like "their" I can't ever get right (i before e they say.. sigh.. a touch of dyslexia I suppose). Spelling checking has been a huge boon for me. Oddly? I still find it easier to compose prose long hand and then transcribe it into the computer later (which can then assist in correcting my foibles).
I'm still a good speller, but like Vaughn, I also sometimes have trouble with the typing.... I'm actually pretty good at that since I spent almost all my working career, including Navy time on a keyboard. But as I get older I've noticed I have a couple of fingers on my left hand that have gone numb and I'm not always sure of what key I've hit. Spell checker helps tremendously.

As for "their" and "there", my English teacher said "their" refers to people or things possessive, "there" refers to place.... she drilled that over and over.

My last years of high school, the year I graduated my freshman year, we were not supposed to have spelling again, was very happy to be done with studying spelling books....... but the first day of my sophomore year, 1957, the Texas education board decided we need spelling through our senior year. :(

I could use some right now, artificial or real. Last week a power outage killed my modem a surge came through. Yesterday I had a new modem put on but, for whatever reason, my iPhone will not connect to the internet and my texts do not go through. AI would help but a 12 year old might be more better to help solve this.
Problem solved, amazingly simply. The new modem put on by my ISP has a wireless router built in that is overpowering my current router. They gave me a password and now all is well. Old router is now scrap. As for AI, the more I see this discussed the more I am of the opinion that it is scary only because it is something new, like electricity, cars, computers, etc. were when they first came about. AI is just that, artificial. I'm confident mankind will control it.

I think he was saying he had a problem with "their" and "thier", not "there".
Sorry, didn't read your post closely... Miss Forke, my English teacher also drilled the "I" before "E" constantly.... don't really ever think about it, but usually when I do get them backwards it's because my left hand is sometimes faster than my right.

Lots of words that throw people off...
Their, they're, there
its, it's
throw, through, though.... I find these often confused.
here, hear
sight, site
right, write
there is many more that don't compute right now.

one problem with spell checkers, you can use the wrong word, but spell it correctly and spell checker will ignore it.