As close as I ever want to get

Ken King

Yesterday while cutting some piece for my stair railing project I was making several repetitive cuts on the miter saw. I guess I've gotten too comfortable with that saw because I did a very dumb thing...I finished a cut, raised the saw and reached for something on the left side with my right hand. That was mistake #1, mistake #2 was not noticing that the blade guard was stuck in the open position. I managed to just touch the still spinning blade with the tipfinger.jpg of my pointing finger. It's a minor cut, but a major reminder.

I like my chop saw, but that is my worst fear of it... that I might reach for the cut off before the blade stops.... I also make sure I pull it down slowly to let the blade do the job.... a few years back I was cutting a small round piece that I wanted to make a pepper mill from, I must have jerked the saw down or something, but it kicked sideways a bit, bent the blade, shattered the motor housing, ruined the seat of my pants and made me buy a new saw.... I pay attention now when I use it.

I like my chop saw, but that is my worst fear of it... that I might reach for the cut off before the blade stops.... I also make sure I pull it down slowly to let the blade do the job.... a few years back I was cutting a small round piece that I wanted to make a pepper mill from, I must have jerked the saw down or something, but it kicked sideways a bit, bent the blade, shattered the motor housing, ruined the seat of my pants and made me buy a new saw.... I pay attention now when I use it.
That would have "ruined the seat of my pants" too!

Whew! Thanks for the reminder. No matter how boring and repetitive the operation, the same safety steps are required. Easy to be lulled into an indifferent sort of zone. Things I do are to do things in sets of 2 and 3 to break up the rhythm, change my stance or shoulder positions, really anything that stops the repetitive lull syndrome. Glad that wasn't worse.