Ash Bowl

steve ramsey

This was an attempt to keep the lines straight. Thought I had the bottom flat until I buffed it out. Diameter is 9", height 3 5/8", inside bottom is 5 1/4". Also thought I had all the tool marks out until I buffed it. Finish if MO/BW/DE and the Beale buffing system.

1118201321a.jpg1118201321a.jpg1118201321b.jpg1118201322.jpg

Attachments

• 1118201322a.jpg
    1118201322a.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 18
I like the shape of the bowl... know about the bottoms.. I still have some trouble getting mine flat... I like the finish too.
Ash is nice wood to work with... I have a supply from a wind downed tree that may have been standing dead or just spalting in my stash... makes some pretty bowls.

Steve, I'm not trying to steal your thunder and apologize if I hi-jack your thread... this is a bowl I did from my ash... I picked the tree up off the river road near my house... it was blown over in a high wind and fell on the road. Someone cut it up enough to roll it to the side of the road and I went with my chain saw and truck to pick it up... got most of it except for one 5' log that rolled away and down the embankment to the river when I cut it... it was one of the bigger pieces and was disapointed to lose it, but no way to wrestle it back up the 8-10 foot bank to the road.
This bowl is 9 1/2 inches diameter by about 3 inches at the rim... I didn't measure the depth, but suspect it's about 2 1/2 or a little less. Finish is sanding sealer over a mixture of mineral oil, beeswax and DE, then wipe on poly over the sealer.
103982 (3).JPG 103982 (5).JPG 103982 (8).JPG 103982 (10).JPG

Nice looking bowl Chuck. I picked up the ash I'm turning from my sons place. With the ash borer there is a lot of standing dead trees. The problem I am running into is the wood is dry, brittle and punky. I failed with a lot of it before I got these to come out. The main problem the cracks from drying while still standing. I have always liked working with this wood and it is a real shame that it has gone the way of the chestnut.

Yeah we have ash borer here too... my tree identifying skills are a little reminisce, but I could identify me tree by the borer's marks under the bark.... I'm lucky, evidently my tree wasn't standing dead too long and is still really solid.... it is beginning to spalt some and I still have some stacked at the end of the shop under a tarp... have to check that soon to see what it's doing.