Aspirin and COVID

I'm sure everyone has Google or the like, so you can search, read and draw your own conclusions.

In discussing covid with my SIL (Reg Nurse) , #1 wife was told that the use of one aspirin per day significantly lowers the risk of blood clots and subsequent stoke in patients post COVID. Likewise it lowers mortality rates in hospitalized patients and INHIBITS VIRUS REPLICATION....

Okay, there you have it, now do your homework. I'm going to get an aspirin....

Alan

I've been on a regimen of one 325mg aspirin for years. Works well as a blood thinner. Was also on Plavix, but my blood became like water so they took the Plavix away. All of that due to a minor stroke back in Sept 2001.

Took the aspirin longer than I can remimber. Then with stent installed doc took me off aspirin and went to Eliquis/ Brilinta. Sure don'r care for how they make me feel. Bleed like a stuck hog when I scratch myself and bruise easily so have to be careful what I do. Agasin beats the alternative.
David

I take the 81 mg aspirin every day and have for years.... don't remember when it was prescribed. Current cardiologist says I have a heart mummer and watches every few months.... never had any problem with heart as yet, although most of my close male relatives all died from heart failure... my dad and four uncles... one uncle died of lung cancer, but never smoked a day in his life, but his wife did. I was taking two Aleve's every morning for my lower back aches, but the last visit to doctor said that my kidney's were being affected and to stop them, so switched to Tylenol... not as potent as the Aleve, but does help.

LOML has been on blood thinners for several years now, more importantly after her stroke in 2014.... she monitors it and calls in her INR every week and the nurse will adjust her medication as needed.

Aspirin can be dangerous... when my son was 5 he had a cold and was running a fever, so I gave him "baby" aspirin for a couple of days... one night he came to me with a nose bleed that I couldn't stop.... we soaked a wash cloth with blood before I got him to ER.... the doctor cauterized his nasal passage and we took him off aspirin the whole time he was growing up.... don't know if he's still off or not, he's 49 and lives 55 miles away.

My dad's doctor had him on a baby aspirin every day. He had a lot of easy bruising and bleeding. His pharmacist actually recommended he take a short break from the aspirin to reduce some of the bruising and bleeding as the aspirin builds up in your system. From what he said it takes several days for it to get out of your system.

You also have to be sure other products you're using, either don't have aspirin or you adjust your daily dose to account for what is in the other product.

My dad took the pharmacist's advice and cut back. He did feel better and stopped a lot of the bleeding/bruising, but his doctor wasn't happy with him doing so, but didn't have any other alternatives to offer. There was also a site my mom used to check drug interactions. Seems like almost all of the prescriptions dad was on, had interactions with the aspirin in one way or another.

I'm not saying it doesn't help and you shouldn't take it, listen to your doctor, but also listen to your body and make sure you're not over-dosing on it too unknowingly.

More and more Health Insurance companies are using MTM (Medication Therapy Management ) to check on how patents meds may be reacting when used in certain combinations. They are trying to guard against complication caused when certain prescription are combined. Too often one doctor my prescribe one things while another doctor prescribes another so what they are doing is having a separate individual look at what drugs a certain patent is taking looking at these intereactions. My Brother in law has a PhD in pharamacology . and he does this very thing for a doctors office.

More and more Health Insurance companies are using MTM (Medication Therapy Management ) to check on how patents meds may be reacting when used in certain combinations. They are trying to guard against complication caused when certain prescription are combined. Too often one doctor my prescribe one things while another doctor prescribes another so what they are doing is having a separate individual look at what drugs a certain patent is taking looking at these intereactions. My Brother in law has a PhD in pharamacology . and he does this very thing for a doctors office.
My wife was pretty sick here a few weeks back and went to a new doctor... she hates to have to drive so far to our doctors who are mostly in Knoxville.... she was having problems edema in her leg and was on an antibody... the new doctor prescribed another one but when we took it to the local pharmacy, the pharmacist wouldn't fill it because it would have reacted with some of her medications she was taking. He's a fairly young pharmacist and seems to be up on a lot of what you mentioned with drug interactions.
When I was still working in Houston, the lady who did our book keeping carried a drug manual of some sort and anytime she went to the doctor and was given a prescription, she looked it up and check what it interacted with.... she would do that in the doctor's office and refuse his prescription if she didn't like what the book said. Probably frustrated her doctors to no end.

Probably a good idea to try that the next time you go, can do it from your phone...

Edit, this one might be better, checks over the counter stuff and duplication of meds, such as taking Excedrin and Aspirin...

Last edited:
We should also look at supplements for interaction. Some take all kinds of vitamins and variuos other supplements which can react unfavorable. Discussed Cool Cayenne to reduce cholesterol and he could not find but suggested stay away until futer checking. Did say one side effect was burning anus which he thought was good enough to not take. Reacted to all the statin family drugs for aches and pains so can't take any. At this stage of life have to pay attention to what we take. Doctors don't always know nest.
David

a bit off topic, when my daughter picked up the baby today, she told us her blood tests from tuesday came in and the doc called her....
she has no covid antibodies, despite having 2 shots and a booster....scares me a bit....Ill get antibody testing in 3 weeks.

Ok, so a lot of folks take aspirin every day. Of those that do, how many have had Covid?

I had it in April of 2020. Almost asymptomatic. I was not taking aspirin at the time and had not for a few years because I started taking aleve. I didn't take an aspirin until yesterday. My antibody count was high in September 2020 and was still high in September 2021. I'm making the presumption that I still have antibodies. I am one of those who refuses to be "vaccinated"...

Alan