Auxilliary Bathroom Remodel

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So started on demo of that bathroom I need to redo.

Long story short, the was ring on the toilet failed, causing terrible odor in the house. So once I yanked the toilet, decided it was time to remodel the bathroom. We knew we were going to do it, but it's what just pushed us over the edge.

So today I started to rip up the sheet vinyl floor and get rid of the useless pocket door that was in there.

Figured out :
1) the one section of floor is about 1/8"-1/4" lower than the other side. (bad)
2) the water pipes come down from the ceiling. (good)
3) that wall is in no way load bearing. (good)

So, the plan now is to yank out that entire shower stall and replace it with a glass 3 sided shower with wall tile. Should be easy to move the plumbing to one of the other walls.

And I'll yank up most of the floor and completely level and replace it it and put down some vinyl plank flooring that looks like wood.

New toilet with all the bells and whistles too.

We're going to consider it to be practice for when we do the master bathroom later.

CatBathroomDemo01.jpg

I'm just gonna leave this here...

url
url
giphy.gif

...Should be easy to move the plumbing to one of the other walls...

Most plumbing should be easy. Much of it is not. :rofl:

Anybody wanna start a pool on how many trips is takes to the Borg to do the plumbing? :D

Looking forward to seeing this project. :thumb:

Good luck. We're all counting on you.
ConfusedHeavenlyIndianspinyloach-size_restricted.gif

I'm leaning more towards Rennies number. Just went to pick up a couple of 1/2 copper caps to be able to plug the water lines so I can keep working on demo.

My guitar player, We haven't had practice in a week and I think he was missing me. He came over this morning to help plan the electrical (he's an electrician by trade). He started just tearing stuff out like crazy and put me on clean up duty, lol.

So, I'm way farther ahead than I normally would be lol. Not quite done for the day or I'd post pictures.

Question, "How many times do you smack your hand with a hammer before you call it a day?"

In this case, I was pounding a 4' crow bar to pull up the floor.

My answer is three, and primarily because I got a big swollen goose egg on my hand between my thumb and forefinger on my left hand.

Hard to do any more work when you're holding an ice pack, lol.

So, made some progress today. Have a bit more drywall and flooring to rip up.

Hoping to get that done in the evenings this week and take the trash to the dump.

Then over the weekend hope to get the plumbing moved around and get the flooring put in.

Was feeling a bit overwhelmed by it, but when Mark came over and just started yanking stuff, kind of gave me a kick in the pants that I needed.

With any remodel, I've got a few head scratchers here, but nothing I can't fix.

bathroomremode_02.jpgbathroomremode_01.jpg

This is what I'm going to put into that corner. The glass enclosure should make everything in there seem a little more spacious. In fact, the old wall that was in the middle was at least a foot wide, so it will in fact be a bit more spacious.
bathroomremode_03.jpg

Pulled up some more flooring and capped off the hot and cold water to make more room to work in there.

Also cleaned up a bunch of 'stuff' that was under the flooring. Loose insulations, a couple of rodent carcasses, and a bunch of rodent 'leavings'

Honestly, I was more bothered by all the loose insulation and just trash they left under the floor. Have a little pride. But judging the crappy work they did, I guess it makes sense.

Going to have my plumber buddy (drummer) come over and talk about moving that vent stack. Need to dig up some of that loose rock and stuff surrounding that plumbing under where the shower was first.

Once I figure where that stack is getting moved, I'll probably yank up all of those 2by's and make a plan for a new floor joist layout.

Kind of a fun project so far. Didn't hurt myself today hardly at all!

bathroomremode_04.jpg