Back in Business!

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I guess it's official now. I no longer have a garage...I have a shop. Only took me a bit less than 4 years to get it set up, and I still have a lot more organizing and purging to do, but it's a shop.

Power? Check. Air system? Check. Dust collection? Check. Table saw, bandsaw, drill press, and lathe operational? Check, check, check, and check. It's still overly cluttered with things that don't belong there, but I can access and use all of my primary tools with minimal shuffling around of stuff.

Tonight I got the air system finished up. There's a slight leak that I'll track down later with soapy water. (With the pump turned off, the plumbing is dropping from 150 psi to about 80 psi over a 24 hour period. For now I'll just turn off the air supply at the tank when I'm not using it.) I also put a new collection bag on the DC and hooked it up to the remote switch, assembled my dust scoop and stand for the lathe, and got my flex hose hooked up. (I just move the hose from machine to machine. It's not ideal, but it fits my needs.) Then I did the 120v power drop from the ceiling to power various things in the lathe/bandsaw/DC area.

At that point, I decided it was time to make a mess. Here's the evidence:

Shiloh%20Shop%20First%20Night%2001.jpg

It was late so I only turned the outside to shape. Pretty sure it's dry enough...this is a piece of ironbark red eucalyptus that's been sitting outside for at least 10 years. I was still able to get decent curlies off of it.

Shiloh%20Shop%20First%20Night%2011.jpg

I really like this wood. This piece should finish out nicely if I don't blow it up before it's done.

Shiloh%20Shop%20First%20Night%2012.jpg

And since this is the Shop Tours subforum, I guess I should show a few pics of the new shop in its current state of disarray. Here's a semi-pano shot standing near the tablesaw:

Shiloh%20Shop%20First%20Night%2002.jpg

The sharpening station and turning tool storage:

Shiloh%20Shop%20First%20Night%2003.jpg

The air station at the end of the lathe. The rolling cabinet/bench will be my finishing area. This setup is virtually identical to what I had in my last shop.

Shiloh%20Shop%20First%20Night%2004.jpg

The compressor, aka the Purple Power Eater:

Shiloh%20Shop%20First%20Night%2005.jpg

The poor man's air dryer/clamp rack:

Shiloh%20Shop%20First%20Night%2006.jpg

Here's an overall shot of the mess, taken from the NE corner:

Shiloh%20Shop%20First%20Night%2007.jpg

A look from the other side of the room, toward the table saw and the overhead door. Still a lot of stuff to get put away or disposed of.

Shiloh%20Shop%20First%20Night%2008.jpg

And the built-in bench is another clutter area that is on the to-do list to get handled.

Shiloh%20Shop%20First%20Night%2009.jpg

Wow, talk about 'in your face'! I tease about some progress shots and you show up almost done :D. Its great to have a shop again I'd wager.

YES it's a shop. Very good on you. Next thing we know you will be showing off your wood turning expertise. That bowl looks nice.
Do scorpions turn?
David

scorpions?:whistling:

I'd be very surprised if there are none. I'm going to be particularly observant when I'm moving around turning blanks that I have stored outside. As I side note, LOML found two dead ones inside the house yesterday, so apparently we are making headway in the chemical war. But fewer than 5% of the ones we find are already dead. Our YTD total, including outdoor nighttime hunting kills, is at 105.

Was it like riding a bicycle? You just turned it on and went at it?? Did you feel the zen????

Yeah, pretty much. :thumb: I didn't know what to expect, but the tool presentation and cutting came naturally.

He was obviously holding out!...

A week ago it looked completely different. ;) Last weekend was when I made a bunch of headway. I should have taken a "Before" photo. :doh: Hopefully before too long I'll be able to show pics of a much more organized space.

thanx vaughn, nice to see you set up shop again, but Im going to throw out the new mexico tour book guide I just got from AAA this past month. we are going to take our time to plan out our cross country trip next year, but now I can bypass new mexico, if I let elen know I knew there were scorpions in New mexico and didnt tell her before we planned to be there, shed leave me out there in the desert.
last time a daddy long legs was crawling up the living room wall, I thought Id have to take her to the emergency room.
It was like freddy kruger, godzilla, and leatherface had her backed into a corner.

when we drove thru the nevada desert, I told her all the critters are hibernating deep in the sand during the winter.