Bandsaw Template Jig Helps with Template Routing

glenn bradley

A variation on a plan found in Woodsmith magazine, ShopNotes or the like. I have a thread on it somewhere on here.. I primarily use the bandsaw template jig to make multiple bandsawn shapes more consistent in order to minimize handwork.. I am fooling around with a Lee Valley chair plan I got some time back. I realized that with the number or multiples and odd shapes in a set of chairs I could get an advantage out of the jig prior to template routing.

I gang multiple parts and attach the template.
BS-Template-1.jpg
The jigsaw template jig allows you to cut quickly and closely to the template profile.
BS-Template-2.jpg
With the minimal waste left proud of the template, template routing becomes a very lightweight operation with little spoil. You just leave the template attached and head over to the router table; rinse and repeat for all your parts setups.
BS-Template-3.jpg
This can lead one to use the process for things that would normally just be one-off'd.
BS-Template-4.jpg
I still use top/bottom template bits at the router table and always recommend routing downhill. In addition to this I hold smaller pieces in some sort of carrier. The extra time spent is only a fraction of the wait time in the ER not to mention any healing time.
BS-Template-5.jpg
This is not the sort of thing you might do for a couple of parts. It makes more sense when you have multiple sets of multiples and you setup the shop for that process.
BS-Template-6.jpg
So often setup time is a large part of an operation. When a given setup time is used across a large number of operations the balance tips in favor of the setup effort ;)

Last edited:
Nice jig Glen,
I made one similar years ago, but this one seems a better design. Are plans available? I also noticed that although you have dovetail slots in the jig you are using a dovetail clamp to hold the jig in place without using the dovetail slots. I like my dovetail clamp system, but when not using them, I prefer to use my other clamps. Can you explain your reason for this?

For small parts holding during other operations, I bought one of the holders in this link that I found works better for me than using the 2 screw clamps. Rockler also sells this, but it's Rockler Blue and you will pay a lot more for it. Yellow is much cheaper, but exactly the same, except for the color.

I added small pieces of sandpaper to the gripping surfaces of my parts holder to improve the gripping capability. This parts holder center piece is designed to grip in either direction, loosened or tightened by the knobs at each end. The little knob on top of the center piece lets you quickly slide the center piece in either direction and then turning it locks it onto the threaded shaft to be further tightened against the workpiece by the end knobs.

Charley

The jig was made for a different saw. Even though I have 3 different holding positions in it, none would fit this saw. I was just too lazy to stop and cut a dovetail for the clamp in the middle of what I was doing; likewise I was too lazy to turn around and grab another clamp . . . pathetic :D. I agree that this is not the right clamp for the job.

*** update *** I was able to confirm that these are ShopNotes plans currently sold by Woodsmith.

Last edited:
I'm thinking a magnetic clamp might be just what the doctor ordered?
The original design in Shop Notes used magnets. Although they provide a tenacious pull strength, lateral pressure from heavier or larger items would move the jig with unpleasant results :D. I converted to the clamp on method for my use. A magnetic grip would be fine for a lot if use cases.

BTW, the original article was in ShopNotes No. 116. . . . I knew I had that somewhere ;)