Bathroom remodel

Mark Patrick

Well since we have owned this house we have wanted to remodel the guest bathroom.

Almost a full gut. Removing the tub and replacing with a walk in shower. New floor tile as well as vanity and toilet. New impact window and i am replacing the valves and plumbing for the shower.

c89a0f453c509b5a6f358c59b3b040b1.jpg

303df0922a91e223a498dbca307aa77f.jpg

096502f3fecda5bf297ebd5ccbda49e7.jpg

c57676d2d2a0337a7243be8892c086be.jpg

1eff18e2cc51f2eb6006a39f2b30f37d.jpg

You might consider replacing the window with a smaller one located up high. An insulated 3 pane window that's shorter and located high in the existing opening would be less affected by the shower water hitting it as it would likely not reach that high. We did this with a recent bathroom remodel, and I have not regretted it. The outside was not filled in with brick to match the outside wall of the house. We just put vertical vinyl there up to the sill of the new window. A fan was added in the ceiling, so no need to have a mechanically opening window.

Charley

Replaced the window with a hurricane impact window. Being in Southern Florida it made sense. I am upgrading the fan in the bathroom since thiers died.

Old window out
e79578d74cd71fd8caca0d5eabe0b8a9.jpg

New one in

f99ff5b2e5d75a2510c1e157a4b28c41.jpg

I also wish i could meet the electrician and punch him square in the face. Who runs wire right behind the shower valves.

I added a shutoff valve for the hot and cold water that feeds the shower valves. There will be an access panel that will be on the back side of this wall as all of the new shower valves leak and need to be replaced this way it is quick and easy.

7de6503223bc9c49e1983de195674eb9.jpg

So who going to start the bidding on the number of hardware store runs for this project? :D
The nice part about being a former contractor i have a bunch of stuff from 20 years working on Palm Beach. So far it has taken 1 trip to get the tile ,grout, and a second trip for the durock, lumber, window, shims,caulk plumbing etc. The wife has decisions to make as to the fixtures and vanity

Alright got some more done after physical therapy today. Window is finished outside and all shims are trimmed. Furring strips placed, insulation in and vapor barrier installed.
4f55fc0ccef8ebc29eecfb5b17dff53f.jpg

Shower niche is framed and i am just waiting for the wife to make a decision on trim colors so i can order the valve and shower heads.

2547f92371f7d3030fc89de0b728a727.jpg

Last thing that i have been avoiding is cutting the concrete and moving the drain.

34f5f956804eb9bcf543619e656ae63d.jpg

Will be watching to see how you handle the window opening with regards to keeping water out of the wall. Also, curious - why no privacy glass in that window?

Will be watching to see how you handle the window opening with regards to keeping water out of the wall. Also, curious - why no privacy glass in that window?
The sill at the window will be tiled it is sloped down in the framing now and sealed with a good silicone caulk like locson or osi quad.

The glass was a compromise. I could get a clear glass impact window off the shelf. One with privacy glass was 4 to 6 months out. I ended up convincing the wife that they make nice adhesive stickers for privacy that will do the same thing and give her the opportunity to pick which ones she would like.

Cutting and busting up concrete is no fun, especially in a small space like that. Good to know you can park a Abrams tank on that slab and be ok though. ;)
Believe me when i say i wasn't expecting it. The same general contractor didn't even tape the joints in my ceiling drywall. This bathroom being so far away from the driveway i figured it would have been the start if the pour .