BBQ Handle Gets Too Hot

glenn bradley

I am not a master griller by any means but I do appreciate good food. I still talk about the chow Brent brought to Carol's back in 2018 . . . (queue the ascending harp arppegios indicating a flashback into dreamland) . . . mmmmmm.

Sorry. . . , I'm back. My Char Broil (C-46DL) handle seems to get unreasonably hot. This may just be my inexperience. Maybe all large metal bar handles get hot but it doesn't seem like a good design. Before I do something like stitch a loose sleeve of heavy leather on it or make a wooden grip accessory of some kind I thought I would consult the brain trust to see how folks hanlde this. I accept that it may be as simple as "wear a glove, nimrod!".

Thanks in advance!

I tried to google that model to see what the handle looks like, as far as if it's round bar or a flat bar.

I think either may work, but may still get hot over time. I actually keep an old welding glove with my smoker/grill as it's got a round bar in front. With the hot air blowing around the edge of the door, it gets really hot and I think any insulator I put on it would get hot also. Some day I'll weld up a new handle that is angled out of the line of "fire" or heat in this case.

Thanks Darren. Big diameter, long, oval tube. I take a glove out with me now; it's just a pain (or I'm a whiner). :D I think you are right that anything I put on the handle will just heat up as well. They make these things but it just seems like one more thing to keep track of an clean.

Before I left the welding glove there, which I do wear when reaching to the back with tongs on really hot sears now too, I had a bungie I hooked over one of the mounting bolts and let it hang down, the part hanging down was still cool enough to grab, so maybe a piece of leather or something heat resistant can be done if you don't want to deal with the glove. The glove just had some other advantages for me is all.

...Maybe all large metal bar handles get hot but it doesn't seem like a good design...
I've had several cookers with metal handles that got unreasonably hot. I think it's a common design flaw that many companies embrace, likely due to cost. My Weber gas grill has a metal handle that gets warm, but it never gets too hot to touch. I believe it's because they actually paid attention to details like that during the design stages.

I am not a master griller by any means but I do appreciate good food. I still talk about the chow Brent brought to Carol's back in 2018 . . . (queue the ascending harp arppegios indicating a flashback into dreamland) . . . mmmmmm.
You are far too kind! Thanks!

I am not a master griller by any means but I do appreciate good food. I still talk about the chow Brent brought to Carol's back in 2018 . . . (queue the ascending harp arppegios indicating a flashback into dreamland) . . . mmmmmm...
Oh yeah, who could forget the time he caught his Anova sous vide cooker on fire? :devilish: Who knew a person could smoke meat while cooking it in a water bath? :ROFLMAO:

Why would anyone have a medal handle on a grill, just bad. You can always wrap the handle with a piece of leather , sterling wheel wrap.
Last of the wild spring turkey meat is being grilled this evening.

old welding glove
This is the way for dealing with hot stuff.

I also have a special scrap of leather that lives in the kitchen.. it has just the right curve on one side to grab a frying pan handle and the other side is flat for sheet pans, trays, racks, etc...

I could see either in this case the leather scrap is faster the glove gives more protection. I probably wouldn't bother sewing something up as you'd imho end up with the worst of both.

On a grill many moons ago, I took a plain old piece of #9 wire and wrapped it (coiled) around a 1" pipe, stretched it a bit, cut it to length and threaded it on the handle. It outlasted the grill.

Alan