Behlen Rock Hard - Your thoughts?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
On this latest desk I am building I thought I might try Behlen Rock Hard finish for the top based on good things I have read from many of you. Added bonus - Woodcraft has this on clearance right now for $19.98 (Regularly $26.50). Why on "clearance"? No idea.

I was going to use General Finishes Arm-R-Seal for the base of the desk as it is my new go-to finish. I used it on the last desk as was very impressed by how well it builds and its leveling qualities.

Here's my concern - Arm-R-Seal is an oil based finish, Rock Hard is a water based finish. There will be dyes and stains applied prior to either of these top coats being applied, but I am still concerned that there may be a color difference in the end as the oil based finish adds a slight amber tint whereas (in my experience, at least) the water based does not.

I know this was an issue with water based some time ago - has this changed? Am I over-thinking this? Will there really be a discernible difference over all the other coloring?

I've never used the waterborne stuff, but the original, oil based, stuff lives up to its name. I did a dining table with it when I lived in CA. Ten years later, brought it to Ohio, and fourteen years later yet, gave it to my niece, who's still using it. The top still looked like new. You ate at that table when you visited about ten years ago, and Larry has seen it, too. The stuff holds up - like a rock...

I've never used the waterborne stuff, but the original, oil based, stuff lives up to its name. I did a dining table with it when I lived in CA. Ten years later, brought it to Ohio, and fourteen years later yet, gave it to my niece, who's still using it. The top still looked like new. You ate at that table when you visited about ten years ago, and Larry has seen it, too. The stuff holds up - like a rock...

Did not see an oil based version available. I’ll have to look around to see where it is available.

I think the oil based might have gone the way of the VOC dodo.. not sure.. I haven't see it for sale anywhere recently anyway.

Reading some reviews and descriptions I suspect its close to as water clear as say GF's Endurovar which is pretty darn close in appearance to just floating some water over the wood. For some woods, especially darker ones, I kinda like the look as it is super crisp. The satin finish also works moderately well for a "flat danish" kind of look on pale wood. If you want grain pop though you have to do something else first.

I've tried doing a light oil grain coat a couple of times with some success, although I do realize that that is probably risky long term (I've been super careful to put down a thin coat, extra driers, and make sure it was totally dry before top coat application). None of the stuff I've done that with has been around long enough for me to put any sort of longevity statement on it. Compatible stains would undoubtedly be safer.

Applying it can be moderately tricky, at least the GF stuff. It's both a bit thin and also dries really fast (varies depending on humidity/temperature.. but right now in my shop at low double digit humidity and high 80's/low 90's I can recoat in 5-10 minutes.. not much room for errors). That means you have to be SUPER careful to avoid runs, smears, drips, etc.. as its also a bear to sand back out. I think spraying would arguably work a lot better but haven't invested in any of that yet.