Best lube for trunnions?

I use Johnson's Paste Wax, applied with an old tooth brush. It surface dries making sawdust not stick to it easily. I use it for both the gears and trunions. For the shaft bearings I use a teflon lube.

Charley

I also keep CRC 3-36 on hand. It is a little messier to apply so can be my second choice for hard to get to areas; overspray occurs.

Paste wax, CRC-36 or similar dry spray, graphite, White Lithium grease are all imho reasonable choices.

I generally avoid teflon out of an abundance of paranoia, but if you're careful about avoiding cross-contamination it's a great lubricant.

The other issue I have with 3 in 1 is that it's a light oil so I like it for more detailed things, but for something like a trunnion I'd like something with a smidge more stiction to keep the lubrication where I want it lubricating.

I was all in on the paste-wax for a long time, but the CRC-36 stuff has some nice corrosion inhibitors in the formula and has similar albeit a smidge less slick characteristics to the wax. So for things that I don't want to get into very often or where I'm more worried about corrosion I've moved more to it. A little goes quite a ways. Other folks have similar opinions about things like ballistol and while I argree that that is good stuff, I think it's a bit goopy for this application.

Picked this up at the local Menards a month or two ago and started using it on anything that needed dry lube. Pretty impressive stuff! The trunnions and lift in the TS are still smooth and easy, my router lift is working better than it has in years and the planer lift is smooth and effortless as well. Time will tell, but so far it is working very well and costs under $6.

1604582398152.png