Big decision today.

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
I have abandoned the house building project. I bought a house today ready to move in. I will be selling the lot. And I am happy with the decision.

:eek: Well, congratulations, was looking forward to the build, but now will be looking forward to what ever comes next. :thumb:

So what kind of shop space are we talking about here? ;)

WOW - SHIFT - YES.

Glad to hear it though.

I know how I feel with what I have on MY plate getting my house in order so I can retire.

Your plate was 10 times the size on my plate.

Now you plate is STILL full but a little smaller.

So - move in, kick up the feet a little bit and settle down.

Well, Darren. The other big news is that there is no shop. This is a manufactured home in a park. No garage. It is however, about 5 minutes from the lab I have been going to for the last couple of years. I am talking with the owner there about creating a woodshop there. I'd make him heck of deal for most of my tools and I'd still have a place to play. I truly don't know how much longer I will have to be able to play with tools, given my health challenges of the last few years, so I am comfortable with this arrangement. I will have a few things at home for piddling around, but no serious builds. There is lots to think about and many decisions to be made over the next few weeks.

Another case of reality running roughshod over a dream. Sorry you had to change gears, Carol. As an old friend used to say, life is what happens while you are making other plans. I hope you still salvaged the CNC project and have room for it in your new digs.

WOAH - no shop.

I think about that a lot. Sounds like you are making some decent arrangements on that though. My friend does not have a shop either, but he volunteers at the Herreshoff marine museum in Bristol R.I. If he wanted, he could use that shop. He also comes to my shop weekly. Even though he doesn't own the shop(s), he can still play.

Sorry to hear about no shop, but I was truly wondering how you were going to actually build a house. That is not something I would be able to do at this stage of my life. I am having a seriously difficult time just doing vinyl siding.

Congratulations on your decision, Carol. It sounds like it will work out for the best all around. You need to do what's necessary to stay around for a long time!

Congrats. I'm glad you are doing what's right for you. You don't have to have your own shop. Shared ones work very nicely (my brother has a car restoration place shared with others). And I'm pretty sure one of your guest rooms will have a few bits of saw dust in it at some point. Looking forward to seeing your new place.

Congrats. I'm glad you are doing what's right for you. You don't have to have your own shop. Shared ones work very nicely (my brother has a car restoration place shared with others). And I'm pretty sure one of your guest rooms will have a few bits of saw dust in it at some point. Looking forward to seeing your new place.

When my son first got out of the army and go an apartment in Austin, he turned in his living room. He had a little patio that would have worked, but it was hot out there.... when I mentioned sawdust in the carpet, he said "that's what shop vacs are for"....

Carol, I'm happy for you. I'm sure it is a relief for you to have now made that decision. Happy that you can plant some roots and settle in now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The new place has a California room. Its life a closed in covered patio. The CNC will live there. Just have to buy a Shop Vac for the carpet! :rofl:

Glad your going forward. The house build was quite a challenge you did not need. You have a lot of options available to you. And we all support you 150%.
David

Congrats, Carol. :thumb: After all this time in your motorhome, I'll bet it's going to be a nice change living in a house that doesn't have a steering wheel.

Although I was hoping your house build would go well for you, I also suspected it might be a case of biting off more than you should chew, especially after all of the regulatory and engineering challenges started popping up. Note I said should, not could. I had no doubt you could pull it off, but kind of figured there were other things that might be more enjoyable for you to do than wrestle a house out of the ground. I think the nearby lab and potential for an even more local shop will still give you ample opportunity to get your hands dirty. ;)

Well, Darren. The other big news is that there is no shop. This is a manufactured home in a park. No garage. It is however, about 5 minutes from the lab I have been going to for the last couple of years. I am talking with the owner there about creating a woodshop there. I'd make him heck of deal for most of my tools and I'd still have a place to play. I truly don't know how much longer I will have to be able to play with tools, given my health challenges of the last few years, so I am comfortable with this arrangement. I will have a few things at home for piddling around, but no serious builds. There is lots to think about and many decisions to be made over the next few weeks.

So no amazing lottery win then?:D
Power tools are great, but as I get older, I am certainly appreciating and looking more towards using powered hand tools, the way my grandfather worked with hand tools. (just doing some stuff faster)
With your old track setup, and your CNC, I would think the getting the wood in, would actually be your hardest obstacle (you have adapted and overcame so many others).
You second hardest is where to put what you build.

So no amazing lottery win then?:D
Power tools are great, but as I get older, I am certainly appreciating and looking more towards using powered hand tools, the way my grandfather worked with hand tools. (just doing some stuff faster)
With your old track setup, and your CNC, I would think the getting the wood in, would actually be your hardest obstacle (you have adapted and overcame so many others).
You second hardest is where to put what you build.

Actually, I don't own any furniture, so finding a place shouldn't be an issue for a while.

What to build first is an issue though!

Sounds like it's a good plan. So I assume is this a "park" model type of home, like a one bedroom, with living room, bath, and kitchen, kinda like my parents have. Dad has his little shop as part of the garage port/laundry space. For bigger projects, he built a bunch of large drawers on casters that roll into the space under his front porch. He keeps a fold down table saw and a bunch of other tools under there and sets up shop in the car port when he has stuff to build.